No Carb after 6 weeks conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBalls

Reaction score
I bottled a IIPA about 6 weeks ago (maybe more - it's been so long I forget), with an ABV of about 7.5%. I don't remember what the yeast strain was - it was a William's extract kit with a Wyeast Activator, but since it was only my second batch, I wasn't paying enough attention. :drunk: I used Munton's Creamy X to prime with, which I used with my first APA batch, and that carbed nicely. The beer was in primary for about 2 weeks, then in secondary for about 4 weeks, maybe 5. In any event, the beer tastes sweet and syrupy, after about 6 weeks in bottles, and has almost no carbonation. I let the bottles sit for about a week at 72 degrees after bottling, then moved them to the basement at around 65 degrees. I thought of shaking the bottles and putting them back to the 72 degree area, but wanted to get the board's throughts on adding yeast after bottling. Can it be done? Should it be done? Is there something else I should try first? The beer has great flavor if I could get that sweetness to go away, so I'd hate to have to dump it. Thanks!

I let the bottles sit for about a week at 72 degrees after bottling, then moved them to the basement at around 65 degrees.

That's the issue, they should be kept at 70 degrees or above for the whole time...For many beers the 3 weeks at 70 degree is a minimum, it really depends on the gravity of the beer.

It may not seem like a lot to us but those 5 degrees below 70 is a big deal in terms of carbonation.

I would bring them up to a warm place, give them a little gentle shake to rouse the yeast, and leave them alone for a couple more weeks in the warmest space you can find.

With an IIPA, I'm very suprised you don't have carbonation yet. The temps probably put the yeast to sleep. Usually, lots of hops = lots of head though. At least, that's how it's always been for me. I would try swirling them a bit to get the yeast in suspension, then move them to your area that's 72 degrees.

I will definitely try the "shake and warm" method first. However, I am interested in getting opinions about adding yeast after bottling, and then re-capping. Is it possible? Wise? Would you put in a grain or two of dry yeast to each bottle, or make a starter and then add a drop or two?

I will definitely try the "shake and warm" method first. However, I am interested in getting opinions about adding yeast after bottling, and then re-capping. Is it possible? Wise? Would you put in a grain or two of dry yeast to each bottle, or make a starter and then add a drop or two?

Honestly if it''s only 6 weeks I wouldn't bother...

I have had stouts and porters that needed 8 before they cabed...and my 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark didn't carb for three months, and then did it beautifully.

Your beer is a IIPA, that means it is higher grav, normally it takes a while, but since you dropped it below 70 it slowed it down....

I have a pretty detailed blog about all this here;

Revvy's Blog, Of patience and bottle conditioning.

Ok - I moved the bottles to approx. 70-degree area (sometimes as high as 80 deg.), and still no luck. I understand that maybe I should wait a little longer, and I will give it another week or so, but I am looking for some advice on how best to add yeast at this point. I am considering dumping (gently, of course) all the bottles back into my bottling bucket and then re-pitching yeast for carbonation only and re-bottling. I figure this is the best way to ensure uniformity. Any thoughts/advide appreciated.

Back