No Bubbles in Airlock after first day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calBeer

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and have brewed the 2nd batch (german hefe). I saw a lot of activity the first day in the air lock and none after that. I brewed the beer last Saturday and its been a week since then. When I brewed my first batch it was different were in I saw the bubbles after 2 days and i could say activity for around a week. Is this normal to see no activity after 1st day? what should I do ?

You could still be having fermentation: it's either really slow or the active fermentation is already done (not uncommon for low alcohol beers fermented at a high temp). It's best not to go by airlock but by pulling samples to take gravity readings and taste.

Davesrose is right....probably either done and just cleaning up or still fermenting slowly. Make sure your lid is on tight. Sometimes if your lid doesn't have an airtight seal CO2 escape out the leak and not the airlock.

Either way no worries

Leave it alone for about 3 days, assuming a bucket. Then look through the airlock hole if you see krausen, leave it alone for another 7 to 30 days then check the gravity for FG then bottle.

If no krausen, check the gravity. If it has not dropped you will have to pitch new yeast.

I suspect you are just too anxious.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

brewed a batch of ode to arthur a couple weeks ago.. pitched a starter at high kraussen and put the fermentor bucket in the ferment room...went out the next morning to check on it and no bubbles.....waited till afternoon and checked again..no bubbles.......late that night still no bubbles.. popped the lid off and clearly visible kraussen ring around the bucket. It had fermented out before I checked it the first time so sometimes it goes really fast.

Back