No base grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarnold

Reaction score
So Ive been brewing for about a year and thought I had a pretty good handle on it until the last 2 brews. It wasnt until I had the second beer in the nice shiny new glass carboy that I realized that there wasnt any two row/merris otter/ etc. The first beer, was supposed to be a blonde, is goodish, I think aging will help, but Im afraid that this is gonna screw up the two brews. The second was a heff with a little rye thrown in, going into the bottle tonite so I dont know how it tastes yet but should I toss them so I dont ruin my palate or should I see how they turn out and remember to put bases in the next brew?

..... what?
I know stupid mistake, I think i mighta been plannin on gettin some from the local brew pub and just forgot to do it or...feck i dont know

For the blonde:
7.5 lb white wheat
2.5 lb pilsner
1 oz cascade
and US-0f

heff
6 lb white wheat
3.5 lb rye
.5 lb carawheat
1.5 oz tettnang
ive since added about 2 lb 2 row to each recipe, didnt save the previous recipes, so the weights may not be exact but their pretty close

Ive tried a couple from the blond and apart from mouth feel and probably not being a blond their drinkable, I dont think I could dump something without seeing how it ages, glutton for punishment or reinforcement for not doing it again, either way, Im gonna suffer through just wonderin if Im gonna really regret doing this or if it might actually turn out.

No the "what" was to your original post. What you typed made little sense. Grammar is your friend.

That being said.... Pils and wheat are base malts.

Pils and wheat are base malts.
From what I was lead to believe at the last club meeting I was left with none so maybe this is an erroneous thread but it had me worried. As to grammar I see what you mean and realize I left out a sentance, Im sure youve never done that. should read "I had the second beer of the most recent two in the nice shiny new glass carboy that I realized that there wasnt any two row/merris otter/ etc.

Never dump a beer that is anything less than toxic waste. And if it is that bad, feed it to some drunk buddies.

That's my rule.

Never dump a beer that is anything less than toxic waste. And if it is that bad, feed it to some drunk buddies.

That's my rule.

My thoughts exactly, just worried that I'll make some God awful beer. The mouth feel is similar to something that you would expect from...almost like water soaked cotton balls. Just really full, not bad but almost fuzzy, I dont know how to explain it apart from it not being right and I know that its not just young, I've tasted many a young beer

That mouthfeel you describe is almost definitely from too much unconverted starch, just bump up the ratio of diastaticaly strong malts and be careful with your mash and it should come out great.

That mouthfeel you describe is almost definitely from too much unconverted starch, just bump up the ratio of diastaticaly strong malts and be careful with your mash and it should come out great.

No reason there should be any unconverted starches in those recipes unless the mash was done improperly. More than enough DP in there.

mlarnold, what were you mash temps/times?

156F is pretty high for both of those styles, what did your FG end up?

And if it is that bad, feed it to some drunk buddies.

Reminds me of a story...

Over a decade ago (I, ahem, may not have been 21 yet at the time) a friend gave my a Beer Machine that he had never used. I followed the directions, brewed a definitely passable but very light and not particularly flavorful beer, and decided I want to share it with some friends at a kegger they were having the next week.

Now, the Beer Machine uses forced carbonation in the very same vessel that you fermented in, and then for the final step you are supposed to let that sit in your fridge for a couple of days after that so all the sediment can settle out the bottom. I know all of this now, but the instructions explained absolutely nothing about the brewing process, or the reasons why you were doing any of the steps. I had no idea that final 48 hours in the fridge was to allow the beer to clear. And remember, this is not just yeast that we are allowing to settle out; primary fermentation takes place right in the final keg, so presumably there was all sorts of funky trub-esque crap in there.

So, not understanding any of this, I got in the passenger seat of my roommate's car, set the small keg on my lap, and rode to the party -- sloshing the beer around quite vigorously in the process.

Having arrived with a little vessel full of heavily aerated trub-filled beer, we poured one and... yeah, it wasn't so tasty any more.

But here's the point of the story: One drunk guy at the party said it was the best beer he'd ever had, and every last drop got drunk. So there. :mug:

Well, good news, the fuzzy fullness of the mouthfeel is gone. Not sure if the extra couple days or the fridge that I put one in did it but its definitely better, SWMBO likes it alot and now my fear is that I wont get anymore. The 156 was what the strike water was, not the entire mash, it usually goes down a degree or 3 after a few minutes and holds steady, dont remember what the exact temps that i took were but I am very happy with the results so :mug:

Back