No airlock activity after 36 hrs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetal

Reaction score
Hi Experts... I got my second 5 gallon batch of AG beer going (mostly 2-row malt). After cooling it down to about 76º - I aerated it with a power drill and it created a thick layer of white foam on top of the wort. I pitched US-05 yeast directly on top of this foam without rehydrating. It took a long time (over an hour) to get the temperature down sufficiently for pitching - but other than that - it was a fairly normal brew day.
Now I have been waiting for almost 36 hours and I dont see any airlock activity at all. Should I open the fermenter bucket and have a look? Should I stir the yeast into the wort? Or should I pitch new yeast?
Just looking for advice on what to do next.
Thanks,

Since you are using a bucket (usually a little bit translucent), try shining a flashlight through the side and see if you can detect a krausen layer at the top of the beer. If that doesn't work, you could open it and take a quick peek.

Lack of airlock activity doesn't always mean that nothing is happening. An imperfect seal (like in a bucket lid) can allow enough CO2 to escape that the airlock never bubbles.

As an aside, pitching dry yeast on foam probably isn't ideal, but I have never heard of it causing total fermentation failure.

Airlock activity doesn't really mean anything. You might not have a full seal from the bucket lid and air is escaping that way. Before opening the bucket, just take the airlock off and see if you can see krausen through the hole.

Okay - I had a look. Shining a light did not reveal any significant krausen formation on the top of the bucket. I took off the airlock and peeked through the hole and I could still see a bit of white foamy layer... nothing resembling krausen. There was no "off smell" - it smelt like good sweet wort. So I gently moved the bucket (with lid tightly on) from side to side - lightly agitating the beer. Almost within a few minutes I started seeing airlock activity. I dont know if this was due to the agitation or because I sealed the lid more tightly now... but I will monitor it for the next few hours to see how it works. Thanks all for your help.

Almost within a few minutes I started seeing airlock activity. I dont know if this was due to the agitation or because I sealed the lid more tightly now... but I will monitor it for the next few hours to see how it works.
The agitation probably caused some CO2 outgassing, which is why the airlock bubbled. Don't agitate that beer, it doesn't need it, but it can cause oxidation problems, especially after lifting the lid, letting air in. Peaking through the airlock has always been my preferred spying technique! You can shine a flashlight through the upper side for illumination.

get a hydrometer... check you gravity. "Its the only way to be sure."

9f3463bdcb3ab54299a4dbc955fca801.gif

Back