no access to a siphon, but lots of tubing. will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
title says it all. i'm in south korea, have everything i need now equipment wise except a siphon. are there any replacements or ways i could turn the copious amounts of tubing i have into a siphon?

or can i just use tubing very carefully holding it under the water?

strange question, but siphons are just "sold out" at the moment.

A siphon only needs tubing. Fill up the tube with water and "thumb" one end to hold the water in. Put one end of the tubing in the liquid you want to siphon and the other end in a pot/bucket lower than the liquid. When you remove your thumb the beer/wort will start running through the tubing. You may want to let the water run out into a cup first and then when you start to get beer/wort, put the end in the pot.

youre right, hmm. im thinking ill try to weigh down the tubing on one end so it stays relatively stable and get someone to hold the other end., still, a huge hassle. i really appreciate even the basic homebrew stores back home now. its ridiculous here

Tubing is all I use anymore. It's just so easy to clean. Your beer should be cold enough to stiffen the tubing up enough to maneuver it. for the other end, just make it long enough to coil into the keg/bottling bucket.

ahh yes, i meant racking cane when i said siphon. no access to it. its "sold out" or not even sold at all at the only online stores here. there are no real life brew stores in the country apparently.

i need good beer, their local stuff is crap, their imports are mostly mediocre and very expensive.

yeah, tubing would work fine. If you really wanted a "racking cane" you could get a short piece of copper tubing and attach it to the flexible tubing

Back