NJrockpd's Summer Shandy Recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njrockpd

Reaction score
I looked at the All Grain Orange American Wheat https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/orange-american-wheat-191944/ and Summer Citrus Wheat https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/summer-citrus-wheat-67952/ recipes to come up with this.

Recipe Type: Partial Mash Frankenbrew
Yeast: White Labs - WLP029 German Ale/ Kolsch Yeast
Yeast Starter: N/A
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Est Original Gravity: 1.055
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Est Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
IBU: 22
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 65F

Mash Schedule:
1. Add all crushed grains into kettle at 165F, mash for 40 minutes.
2. Increase temperature. Once kettle reaches 200F, add all LME and stir well.
3. Bring pot to a boil.
4. Keep rolling boil for 60 minutes; add hops when recipe calls for it.
5. Cool wort. Pitch yeast at 70F.

Ingredients:

Grains/ Extracts
3 lb Wheat (1.0 SRM) LME 40.0 %
3 lb Pilsner (1.0 SRM) LME 40.0 %
1/2 lb German Munich (0.8 SRM) Grain 6.7 %
1/2 lb Rice Hulls (0.1 SRM) Adjunct 6.7 %
1/2 lb Flaked Wheat (0.2 SRM) Adjunct 6.7 %

Hops
1.00 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] (60 min) Pellets 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] (30 min) Pellets 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] (5 min) Pellets 12.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau [3.10 %] (Flame Out) Pellets 0.0 IBU

Misc.
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)
2.68 oz of Crystal Light Lemonade powder (Add to Keg) [Makes 4 qts of Lemonade]

Yeast
White Labs - WLP029 German Ale/ Kolsch Yeast

So there it is. I am finishing up my Keezer collar and then I'll be brewing this up. I've never used Lemonade Powder, rice, or Orange peel additions before so if anything looks off I would appreciate any input possible. I used Crystal Light because I figured it wouldn't add fermentable sugars. One of the guys at my LHBS talked me into the Kolsch yeast over the American Wheat Ale I originally had in my recipe. I'm not sure if I should have taken his advice or not because now I have no idea what style this beer could be considered. Anyway, thanks for taking a look and any post is a good post. Thanks for the advice in advance.

EDIT: Can I use standard rice that you buy from the store? Do I need a grain mill? I figured the rice would give the brew some fermentable sugars, while not adding much to the color and keeping the flavor nice and light. I want this to be a nice, light, easy to drink beer with a noticeable citrus flavor. (My girlfriend loves the summer shandy so I want to make something she will drink too.)

Rice Hulls =/= Rice. I don't really see a need for them, since you aren't mashing them, just steeping them. As for a shandy in general, I have no idea. personally do not like the style.

Rice Hulls =/= Rice. I don't really see a need for them, since you aren't mashing them, just steeping them. As for a shandy in general, I have no idea. personally do not like the style.

I thought the rice gave off sugars without adding much color or flavor? I wanted to increase the gravity a bit and I thought adding some rice might do the trick, while maintaining a light body to the beer.

Just a disclaimer, I've never used rice. I would assume it'll give some sugar without affecting the color as you've said. But your recipe lists rice hulls, not rice. Rice hulls are exactly that, just hulls. There is no sugar in them whatsoever, they are generally used when your grist has a large amount of wheat in it. Normal barley has a hull on it, that is cracked open in order to get at the starch nugget inside of it. The hull of the barley allows the mash to still flow around it. The Wheat has no such husk, so it becomes "stuck", unless you introduce the rice hulls that take up space and allow the mash/water to flow around everything.

In your case, you're only using flaked wheat, which you won't have to worry about, and you're only steeping it. You aren't doing a traditional mash, so you won't have to worry about it being "stuck".

you could always add some dextrose. it'll bump your gravity without adding color.

Just a disclaimer, I've never used rice. I would assume it'll give some sugar without affecting the color as you've said. But your recipe lists rice hulls, not rice. Rice hulls are exactly that, just hulls. There is no sugar in them whatsoever, they are generally used when your grist has a large amount of wheat in it. Normal barley has a hull on it, that is cracked open in order to get at the starch nugget inside of it. The hull of the barley allows the mash to still flow around it. The Wheat has no such husk, so it becomes "stuck", unless you introduce the rice hulls that take up space and allow the mash/water to flow around everything.

In your case, you're only using flaked wheat, which you won't have to worry about, and you're only steeping it. You aren't doing a traditional mash, so you won't have to worry about it being "stuck".

you could always add some dextrose. it'll bump your gravity without adding color.

I made a mistake writing Rice Hulls, I have Rice as the ingredient in my Tastybrew.com recipe so all of the numbers calculated were based on rice. Thanks for the advice I will look into the dextrose. Other than the rice and without the lemonade to make it a shandy how does the recipe look in your opinion?

Ok so I brewed today. I'm not sure if I'm going to add the Crystal Light to make it a Shandy or just keep it as is. I fell a few points short of my target OG, but otherwise things seemed to go according to plan. I the beer is currently fermenting at around 68 F but I'm thinking of dropping it down to 65F. I really don't know what to expect out of this beer, but I am very excited to see the final result.

Help!!! So I transferred my beer from the primary to the keg a few days ago and I gave in and added the Lemonade powder to the keg. Well that was a huge mistake. The beer has been carbing in the keg for about 3 days and I wanted to take a premature taste. Unfortunately it wasn't the delicious experience I was hoping for because it tasted more like lemonade than beer!

My OG was about 1.053 and my FG was about 1.013 so I'm thinking fermentation was just about finished. My big mistake was adding the 2.68 oz of Crystal Light Lemonade powder to the keg. This amount makes 4 qts of Lemonade so I figured in about 4 gallons of beer it wouldn't have such a detrimental effect. I've been searching the internet, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally I thought of dry hopping the beer in the keg, but I didn't think it would add much to the bitterness, but to the aroma. Then I read about making a hop tea to add bitterness and drown out some of the sweetness of the lemonade.

What I'm really wondering though is will adding a hot hop tea to a kegged and 4 day carbed beer have any negative effects? Can I add the hop tea to the keg and then dry hop all into the keg and then carb as usual or am I overlooking other necessary steps?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm curious how this beer turned out? I'm really surprised at the lack of help on your thread, that's not like this group!

Back