NJ Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in NJ and want to start growing some hops this spring. I want to grow two varieties, one for bittering and one for aroma. Since space is limited I want to get the most bang for my buck in terms of intensity and yield. Could you recommend one bittering and one aroma variety that would do well in my area. Also, assuming I start the containers inside, when should I put the rhizomes in the dirt?
Thanks for the help!

Chinook and Cascade. Both do extremely well here. You don't have to start in containers, just plant the rhizomes in the spring. I can probably spare some root stock in the spring for both types.

Most advise not to use homegrown hops for bittering because it's hard for an individual to determine AA%. That being said I'm growing Chinook and Cascade here too, this will be their second year, not sure if I can cut off rhizomes yet?

Yes, you can cut rhizomes. Hop roots are always trying to take over new territory. Cutting them back a bit is mandatory unless you don't mind a yard full of hops.

It is true that bittering with homegrown is a total mystery. You could do a 1/2 gallon test batch to know what you're getting in to, then scale up from there.

Good to know, I didn't cut them back but they didn't grow well this year. I guess if they really take off I'll trim them next season.

Back