Nitrogen to push commercial beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude918

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm going to a backyard field day type party and renting a keg. Instead of getting a party tap, I was wondering if I can hook up a nitrogen tank and reg to dispense the commercial beer with pure N2.

Only reason I resorted to the forum is bc I don't know if the keg will outlast the party (if so I don't want it ruined) and all the inter-webs have to offer is nitro-tap info (which I'm not trying to do).

Thanks in advance!

Co2 costs money. I can get N2 for nothing. Just trying to not waste co2 on miller light :beard:

So I can dispense with nitrogen with no negative effects?

No ill effects sure. You will loose carbonation but if it only lasts for a few hours than you will be good.

Yea..you probably wont notice over the coarse of the night.. but anything longer than a day and you will..the nitrogen wont effect the beer even at serving temp and pressure

Correct me if I'm wrong. But wouldn't the co2 want to stay in solution if as long as the pressure and temperature were at normal serving numbers? Or am I missing something? :confused:

As long as the partial pressure of CO2 in the headspace is low, CO2 will come out of solution.

Henry's Law: "At a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas that dissolves in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium with that liquid."

These are the same principals behind nitrogen narcosis and oxygen toxicity in diving.

Oooohhhhh. So I'd have to maintain a certain percentage of co2 headspace in order to keep the carbonation in solution? That's some trippy stuff. And I'm a science guy lol.

Appreciate the knowledge
Thanks! :mug:

Like I said before..if you plan on blasting through the keg in one night I dont see it being a big problem

Yeah, you're probably right being party pumps do well overnight. I never woulda thought co2 would be lost under pressure of another gas..

Latest posts

Back