Nightmare of a Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zegolf

Reaction score
Just felt like I needed to share my nightmare of a brew day yesterday. On a whim (and because I hadn' t brewed in ages) I picked up a Honey Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. I wanted to get a beer into a fermentor because all I've got is an Apfelwein fermenting, and my kegs are quickly becoming empty!

I should have turned back the minute I noticed that Midwest had only sent me half of the hops I had ordered, but I had some similar hops in the fridge that I decided I could use as a substitute. Hell, half of homebrewing is experimenting anyway, right?

I manage to get through the brew with only a few more hiccups (it was really nice out and the split-second I took the lid off of the pot I had a mosquito fly into the boil), but with my SWBMO breathing down my neck to eat dinner, I killed the flame and got ready to start cooling the wort.

More bad news. I lost the adapter for my wort chiller that attaches it to the faucet. I wasn't about to risk splashing water into the wort so I set it in a really lousy ice bath, covered it up and 4 hours later finally pitched the yeast from a smack pack that was probably 30 seconds from bursting. The wort was a little too warm for my liking, so I'm really hoping I didn't kill all of my lovely yeasties, but only time will time. For now, I'll just have to RDWHAHB and keep watching my Apfelwein ferment.

It's a beautiful thing.

How warm is too warm for you liking?

In the upper 80's on top, upper 70's near the bottom. I pitched, then immediately moved it to my mid-60's basement, so I'm not too concerned about it (It was a lot of yeast, too) but it still just didn't add to my confidence.

You'll be fine at those pitching temps. Might get more chill haze out of the batch due to the slow cool, but them's the breaks. Beer will still be good.

I suppose I really didn't have anything to worry about...

image-42567895.jpg

Back