Nightmare brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevFry

Reaction score
Well, actually all was well until around 2:30am when I was moving what the pot said was 22 quarts of boiled and ready to pitch to beer into the primary.

22 quarts, between 20 and 24 on the pot. That would be 5 1/2 gallons. Logically it would be. But magically a gallon Must've evaporated between the pot and the fermentor. Wow! <sarcasm>

So then I pulled a gallon and put a smudge of crushed campden tab in it. The whole point of this brew was to see if the tabs would get rid of the chlorophenol taste I'd been getting. So just dumping a gallon of fresh tap water in didn't seem to make sense. I began to heat it to boil. it was 2:45 am. I wasn't thinking. I said screw the boil and just dumped it in. So now my beer is too hot to pitch into and it's 3:34. Uggg.

I suppose I should've just lived with 4.5 gallons. I really need to make time to do this during the day.

i would suggest you buy a $20 water filter that attaches to your kitchen spigot. it will remove the chlorine from the water.

Ah damn! No walmart near by, but I had a gallon of bottles water in the basement. Uggg. Like I said, gotta be awake for this.

I should get the filter, though.

Still not to patchable temp.

Teromous said:
You could also make this in the future.

Nice! I have a bunch of pur filters laying around since our last filter broke. I'll rig something like this up.

Thanks.

Back