Nightmare Bottling Session!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetarisk

Reaction score
So glad to be finished bottling! Managed to knock over and break my hydrometer, then while cleaning my bottling bucket I rested the bucket against the spigot while dumping out water and snapped it clear off! Had to use a racking cane to bottle which took forever...

I wasn't even drinking, at least I will be in a few weeks!:mug:

I just realized, after finishing a second version of a rare German beer I've been working on, that one of my two brand new hydrometers had a BB-size hole in the very top! Like a thin spot or something. I have managed not to break off spigots when working with my buckets though. I tilt the spout up sideways so it isn't hanging down to get caught & break. I just can't figure out how I broke the hydrometer when I was being so careful not to break another one!?...so you're not alone!

I tilt the spout up sideways so it isn't hanging down to get caught & break. I just can't figure out how I broke the hydrometer when I was being so careful not to break another one!?...so you're not alone!

I'll have to try that from now on. I didn't realize the weight of the bucket was resting on it until water started spilling out of the hole! Just out of curiosity, I had to leave the lid off the bucket while bottling since I ended up using a racking cane. What are the chances I oxidized the beer?

Just out of curiosity, I had to leave the lid off the bucket while bottling since I ended up using a racking cane. What are the chances I oxidized the beer?

I always leave the lid off of my bottling bucket when I bottle. I have yet to oxidize my beer. "MMMMM BEER". As long as there was no splashing or sloshing the beer around, just a gentle stir to mix in the priming sugar, you should be fine.

Well, since my bottling bucket's spigot is still intact, I set the lid on top of it just to keep anything from settling into it during bottling. And since it also has an airlock grommet, I place the airlock cap over the grommet to keep those pesky flies out of it as well.:mug:

I'll have to try that from now on. I didn't realize the weight of the bucket was resting on it until water started spilling out of the hole! Just out of curiosity, I had to leave the lid off the bucket while bottling since I ended up using a racking cane. What are the chances I oxidized the beer?

I rarely use a lid.
If the A/C or heater is running, I'll throw some foil over the top.

'da Kid

There was a little bit of splashing when i transferred to the bottling bucket due to my auto siphon kicking in a little faster/stronger than I expected.

If it makes you feel any better, I have broken so many hydrometers Im thinking about learning to make them so I can save money replacing them every other month.

If it makes you feel any better, I have broken so many hydrometers Im thinking about learning to make them so I can save money replacing them every other month.

WOW, I am approaching my 200th brew and have never broken one. I do have a back up just in case, but have never needed it.

WOW, I am approaching my 200th brew and have never broken one. I do have a back up just in case, but have never needed it.

And thats why you have never broken one. If you break break one the othr will go in a second if you don't buy and keep a spare around.

It gets better when you end up with a lot of beer on the floor or being sprayed by it. Something to look forward to. :mug:

And it's all worth it! You created something to be proud of, your own homebrew.

Oh, did I not mention that part? :grin:

Been lucky enough so far to not have any geysers of beer during fermentation. I always use a blow off tube so hopefully that never happens!

Unless you're keeping a continuous flow of CO2 into your bottling bucket, it has contact with oxygen, lid or no lid. I keep the lid sealed on and cover the hole in the center of the lid (bucket was sold as a fermenter) with a paper towel to keep out the damn fruit flies!

Back