Night time brewers unite!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
Making s wit..,Started mash around 640, started draining around 805pm..,something about a night time brewing session ....anybody else agree? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396143653.725307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't know if it's good or bad, but that sounds similar to the schedule I usually end up with. I do find it pleasant to be out in the garage late at night brewing. The only problem I run into is getting out of bed the next day after I stayed up till one or two in the morning...

Hell If I start at around 7 I'm usually done by midnight

Yeah since it's a night time brew I try to clean as I go but I do drink some brews during...especially since it's at night by the end of it all I usually just have to wash out boil pot, so not to bad

I am beat to $hit-- I just finished a double-header/back to back beer brewing session baby.. and I did not have a drop of beer in the house to enjoy while doing so.... therefore, I drank wine.

This was my first attempt at a party gyle.. it worked out okay I suppose. And I think I put 5-hours total in the process today... Just finished, so I can hit the hay.. but yup-- night session seem to be my MO

I tend to mash-in at 8:00 and will be done by 12:30-01:00.
By done I mean in bead. Clean up is done the next day after an over night soak and the yeast is also pitched the following day( but that is mostly so that my son can do it).

Heated mash water during dinner. Mashed at 6. Read kids stories for most of the mash. Got to boil as the kids were going to bed. Did dishes during the boil and then relaxed with a beer. Kettle is sitting in the bath tub cooling over night. I'll pitch and clean tomorrow. Not a bad Sunday evening.

Another late night brewer here. Fired up strike water at 730, put junior to bed at 8, mashed in at 830, all cleaned up and yeast pitched by 1200. Hard to brew during the day with a 16 month old.

I tend to do the same, especially in the summer time. I do not wake up in the morning to brew, that's for sure. Wintertime I tend to be a lot more limited as with this last winter we've had with most of it being sub zero or single degree temperatures have forced me to do things only during the daylight hours. Summer time though I'll start up my brewing after dinner when I'm done with work on a Friday to keep things rolling and wrap up around 11 or 12 at night.

I wish i had the gumption you guys do! I need to start doing that. I typically wait for a free weekend to brew up a batch or two.

Though I stay up til midnight most nights anyways... Damn i need to get my ass off the couch.

Sals OP is making me feel guilty right now :) Lookin good!

Don't feel guilty humulus just get to brewing!

My wife actually likes that I brew at night versus the day is why I started this, I can spend Saturday with family and then brew at night, so win win for for the family.

Plus I feel less of an alcoholic drinking home brew at night during brew vs having a beer at 10 in the morning..!

Did this last Friday! Have to wait for the kid to go to bed! Do this too for bottling. I don't mind!
Too much going on during the day, and I gotta fit my brewing in somewhere. Brewed up a double ipa and bottled my Irish red! Good times

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

25 year veteran of working night shifts here. I prefer the moonlight nights, even on off days. The sun is nice on the back during the cold, wet winters, but I still prefer to put some acoustic blues on the stereo and brew my way into the morning. Nothing better than watching a beautiful sunrise with a hot cup of coffee.

Tonight, I have the sounds of sirens and radio to clutter my head, but give me a few days and I'll be brewing a double of Irish Red and SA Summer Ale while listening to the night sounds of the nearby forest.

Happy Brewing!

3 kids under 3:

Heat strike water a little after 6
Dough in about 6:45
Put kids to bed a little after 7
Dunk sparge around 8
Boil starts around 830
Drink heavily from 8 till about 11

Cleaned up and ready for bed 11-1130

3 kids under 3:

Dunk sparge around 8
Boil starts around 830

My mash in is rarely before 7. I'm rarely in bed before 2 with clean up. I take my sweet time to get it all done the way I want it done. Usually I'll let SWMBO know a week in advance, and she is awesome enough to take over kids bedtimes for the night on a brew night. I do all cleaning throughout, and will sit and watch for a while as the break separates. It could be just me, but it's soothing and relaxing to sit back stare and the fermentor and have a few celebratory brews in honor of the new brew.

I feel ya man! I like to try and get a parti-gyle out of every batch if I can. My buddy and I got carried away one day and did a quadruple brew. It was chaos. Check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
25 year veteran of working night shifts here. I prefer the moonlight nights, even on off days. The sun is nice on the back during the cold, wet winters, but I still prefer to put some acoustic blues on the stereo and brew my way into the morning. Nothing better than watching a beautiful sunrise with a hot cup of coffee.

Tonight, I have the sounds of sirens and radio to clutter my head, but give me a few days and I'll be brewing a double of Irish Red and SA Summer Ale while listening to the night sounds of the nearby forest.

Happy Brewing!
I'm on a 6 month night rotation right now. I get home and my wife takes off to work, makes for a perfect time to grab a brew and work on my brew stand. Morning drinking gets a bad rap. :D Heres what I got so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lot of normal sun chasers don't realize is that their breakfast time is our dinner time. Someone asked me the other day if I gave any thought about what it looked liked drinking early in the morning. My question to them was this: Do you find it odd going to grab a cold beer and burger after knocking out a 12-14 hour shift? They would answer of course not. They didn't see anything wrong with having a beer with supper after work. My reply right back was that often, I'll get home, or either stop on the way home and order a complete supper type meal. Many times, I've cooked a complete dinner spread and was eating a meat and three before 0800hrs.

In the morning when I get home, more than likely, I'll boil two sausage dogs and pour a cold homebrew. I don't make it a habit to drink in the morning hours, but mainly it's related to how long it will be before I'm back on shift, or perhaps what the honey dues are like. If I know I'm going to be driving or out in public, chances are i'll just settle for a soda.

Ken

3 kids under 3:

Dunk sparge around 8
Boil starts around 830

Sweet Jesus! I have three under five and I thought I was busy. Keep up the good work!

I definitely like evening brewing. That said, I like 0600 start times as well. And there is no guilt starting at noon!

I brew whenever I can fit it into our hectic lives. Careers, commutes, kids, house etc makes for scarce time so I am not tied to any prefers time. The best time for me is when I start!

Nighttime brewing seems to be my MO as well. I usually start heating the strike water around 7 and mash in at 8 or later. With life and all that goes along with it I find this is the best time to brew.

I love brewing after work. Get water and grains milled the night before, come home and heat water up and mash in. If I get started by 4:30 or 5pm, I'm usually done and cleaned up by 9:30 or 10. It gives me something to look forward to all day at work. But I'm usually an early Saturday morning brewer - measure out water and mill the grains the night before and get up at 6 or 6:30am and get going. I prefer that to night brewing but brewing after work rocks too.

Latest posts

Back