Nick from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chappy6107

Reaction score
Hi all,
i am from little elm, tx. i have brewed 3 batches. all my batches were lme kits from my local shop. 1st 2 were american style muntons kit and mr beer kit and 3rd was an amber ale also muntons kit i think. the american muntons was not good. the mr beer kit was good but tasted like corona, and the amber ale was ok. i have been listening to basic brew video/radio and wanted to try some small batch experiments to get me on the right track of what i would like to brew. all my drinking life i have been a typical coors/miller/bud drinker with occasional zeigan bock and new castle stints. i would like to open up my taste buds to the wonderful world of homebrew, but i am not quite a hop head yet. the other day i tried a westmalle trappist triple and lets just say it was good but my taste buds are not ready for that yet. lol right now my current stock is 3 lbs of light dme, 3 oz cascade pellets, whitelabs 001 yeast vial, 2 1 gallon carboys, 1 6.5 gallon carboy, 1 bottling bucket, racking cane / hose / bottle filler, lots of swing top bottles, 6 corny kegs, kegorator(currently w/budlight) i know, iknow!!! 16qt brewpot and turkey fryer stand/burner.

Another Texan. Welcome!
Ever try Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? I'd make something along those lines and use what you have. I (personally) like the Coopers (as far as kits go) and I'd recommend the Australian Pale Ale which I did for my first batch and added a couple ounces cascade hops (dry hop) 6 or so days after pitching the yeast. It might be too much hops for some, reduce to 1oz if you aren't sure. It rocked. I am almost out and I need to make more. It will be one of my mainstays I believe.
Partial mashes are something that won't take a lot of equipment but will allow more customization and you might want to try that too. There are some good tutorials on here.
Enjoy!

thanks all, i see lots of texans here. texasStu, i have never tried sierra nevada, but have read lots about others loving it, so it is on my list. i was thinking of just going to the flying saucer to try a little bit of hoppy beer, malty beer and some in between. dont they have a sampler, so to speak.

Dunno. When I went down to Houston recently we just went ot St. Arnold's.
I've heard they have an excellent selection though! :)
Spec's also sells Sierra Nevada (a few types) if you would rather not drive afterwards.

Back