Nibs in vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use vodka, preferring dark rum, but yes, a week or as long as it takes for me to get 'round to it, whichever is longer ;)

Cheers!

Why a week is that just to extract more flavor from them? I'd think the vodka would sanitize them relatively quick. I'm using vodka because I don't want to add Rum flavor to a beer that I'm also adding Bourbon soaked cherries.

You could use bourbon, then. The rum is for my chocolate imperial stout.
The week is to extract as much from the nibs as possible, then the whole thing goes in a fermentor...

Cheers!

And if vodka extracts more flavor, do I still need to leave the beer on nibs for 2 weeks? Or can I just pour in the whole think wait a few days?

There is alcohol in beer, is this because vodka has a higher alcohol content?

Mostly that. The other part is you can agitate the container occasionally which improves the extract. Can't really do that with a fermentor.

And if vodka extracts more flavor, do I still need to leave the beer on nibs for 2 weeks? Or can I just pour in the whole think wait a few days?

A few days is plenty, as the tincture did all the work already...

Cheers!

Back