NHC 2012 SEATTLE - Almost Sold out after 24 hrs | SOLD OUT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seattle is no less inaccessible from Bellvue as the strip in San Diego was at last year's conference. It is a friggin' 15 minute bus ride.

Edit: maybe too snarky. Even with the new tolls I think 15 minutes is optimistic.

Suffice it to say, I'm disappointed regardless of the reasoning. Obviously others plan to stay at the hotel/conference full-time, but having a lot of ties to the area, I was looking forward to a visit and time in the city.

This will be my first and I am ready! I'll be traveling from the DC area ready to enjoy! See you all there...

PSB

Is anyone holding on to a reservation at any of the hotels that they have intentions of canceling. My name came up on the waiting list but I'm not going to huff it 12 blocks after a day of drinking.

Ok, the reason I asked was they had one room left in the block and wanted $225 for the first two nights. Apparently the original block got sold quick so they resigned another contract at a higher rate. None of the other hotels on the list in the $139 range had 21st to 24th availability so I was trying to convince them down to the $139 rate. No dice. Oh well, I'm sure they'll end up with a lot of cancellations.

I just booked at the silver cloud two blocks away for $139 and it comes with free parking, full breakfast, free wifi and 42" plasmas... Hyatt can eat it. I'm staying at the Hyatt in April for business so I'll get to see what I'm missing.

We will make sure there are events planned in Seattle and elsewhere that are documented, mapped, and will likely have transportation to.

Will those events in Seattle be posted on the NHC website? I was a day too late in pulling the trigger to buy tickets to register, but I'm still headed to Seattle for the event. Its a good excuse to visit a friend out there. So if there is a list of "other" events outside of the official registered/ticketed events, I'd like to take a look.

Bobby - I used to stay at the Courtyard Marriot in Bellevue all of the time for work. Its 3 blocks from the Westin, an easy walk down the main drag. (Did this coming back drunk from Earls quite few times) Right now its $149 a night for that weekend, and its a nice hotel. Nicer then the "courtyard" label.

I'd recommend that hotel for anyone still looking to book something.

Will those events in Seattle be posted on the NHC website? I was a day too late in pulling the trigger to buy tickets to register, but I'm still headed to Seattle for the event. Its a good excuse to visit a friend out there. So if there is a list of "other" events outside of the official registered/ticketed events, I'd like to take a look.

Wow. Long trip in from Boston. They did release some waiting list tickets a couple days ago. You may want to look into them.

I would think the events will be posted on the NHC site. WAHA is coordinating with the AHA, so it seems likely that any events will be posted on the event website. I'm sure the event postings will find their way onto HBT as well via myself or other local members.

Wow. Long trip in from Boston. They did release some waiting list tickets a couple days ago. You may want to look into them.

I would think the events will be posted on the NHC site. WAHA is coordinating with the AHA, so it seems likely that any events will be posted on the event website. I'm sure the event postings will find their way onto HBT as well via myself or other local members.

Ok - I'll keep tabs on the events section there.

I did hear some waiting list spots were getting some tickets, and I'm on the waiting list, so hopefully I get the email.

Some of the events during the NHC timeframe in Seattle are starting to post. Here is the link in case you are not on the AHA mailing list to receive the notices.

http://www.ahaconference.org/events/pre-conference-events/

PS. If you scroll through the list you will find Naked City presently listed on at least one event. If you get over there you may get a chance to say Hey to Don, (HBT ID Brewtopia) and he loves meeting HBT'ers.

I have a room booked at the lower rate through Saturday night. Unfortunately I am unable to go anymore. It looks like if I transfer the rooms, they hike it to the higher rate :( If anyone is looking for a room, I'll transfer it to you but can't guarantee the rate.

EDIT: At the Hyatt.

Some of the events during the NHC timeframe in Seattle are starting to post. Here is the link in case you are not on the AHA mailing list to receive the notices.

PS. If you scroll through the list you will find Naked City presently listed on at least one event. If you get over there you may get a chance to say Hey to Don, (HBT ID Brewtopia) and he loves meeting HBT'ers.

Cool, I'll have the wife with me and am only doing a social ticket this year because of that. However, I think some of the food related events might actually appeal to her.

I'm also wondering if they are going to do any special events for the non-beer drinking wives/husbands that are tagging along like they did last year in San Diego.

Glad you'll be making it up to Seattle Shooter. I hadn't heard too much on non-alcohol related events, but it's not a bad question. I'll shoot the question/idea to some of the people making decisions and see what they have to say.

Glad you'll be making it up to Seattle Shooter. I hadn't heard too much on non-alcohol related events, but it's not a bad question. I'll shoot the question/idea to some of the people making decisions and see what they have to say.

Hey, they don't even have to all be non-alcohol related. She likes wine, just not beer. I know last year they had the winery tour one day. She didn't attend last year, but is coming to this one. Since I'm doing the social ticket, most of my days will be free. So, even I might be up for a little winery action. We have lots of that down in the SF Bay Area, but Washington has a number of good ones as well.

As for making it up there, I grew up out on the Olympic Peninsula west of Port Angeles. So, I'm actually using the trip to visit friends and family as well.

Looks like there will not be much in the way of non alcohol related events being run by the NHC or WAHA. It is mostly a bandwidth issue as there is so much other stuff being coordinated. However I also understand that they checked in to it a bit and it turns out many of the non alcohol related events did not draw well in San Diego and some apparently were cancelled for lack of participation.

If you think about it, most conferences don't have the bandwidth to go very far outside the conference theme in entertainment options. There is a link from the conference with options on other things to do in the area.
http://www.ahaconference.org/hotel-travel/about-the-area/beyond-bellevue/

Also if you are from the region you will know about the winery area and tours in the Redmond/Woodinville area. The wineries are getting pretty popular in this area with many of them offering tours and tasting rooms. Several can be hit within close distance of each other and it is not more than maybe 10-15 miles or so from Bellevue. Nothing compared to NAPA of course.
http://www.washingtonwinetours.com/woodinville.html

Thanks for the update Zen! I did wonder how attendance was on the events last year. Doesn’t sound like it worked out. I’m sure I can find plenty to do. I’ve got a former co-worker to touch base with up there and a couple of specific stops I want to make over in Seattle. So, there’s one day already. I’m thinking a day at a couple of wineries will make the wife happy and I certainly wouldn’t complain.

As far as Napa, I started going to Sonoma after a while, then when that also started getting busy, I moved on to the Healdsburg area. These days, I drive twenty minutes over to Livermore and discover that there are a number of pretty good wineries right in my backyard.

I don't get in until about 3:30-4p on Wed. night and was thinking of rounding up some fellow HBTers around 4:30 or 5p and grabbing a small bus or something over to Naked City for supper & a few beers. Anyone interested?

I have 2 tickets I cannot use.
I cannot reach anyone at AHA about the unwanted tickets.
Does any one know who I need to talk to about getting a refund?
thanks!
Wendy

I have 2 tickets I cannot use.
I cannot reach anyone at AHA about the unwanted tickets.
Does any one know who I need to talk to about getting a refund?
thanks!
Wendy

Wendy,

I am having the same issue!

I also have 2 tickets that I can't use as my wife and I are relocating to SC. I was going to try and sell them to some local homebrewers but like you can't get a response from the AHA.

What did you find out?

Thanks,
Ben

How does one register for the lectures and other individual events at the conference? Is it the day of? If so how long is the line usually? Would I need to show up pretty early?

Spring_Chicken said:
How does one register for the lectures and other individual events at the conference? Is it the day of? If so how long is the line usually? Would I need to show up pretty early?
You just walk in the room before the scheduled lecture time and take a seat. No lines, no registration. Some are more popular than others so a few might be standing, but most I've been to at the last three conferences had seats available. Show up ~5 minutes early and you shouldn't have a problem with a seat.

The only thing you may need to register for are pre-conference events if you're going to those. You don't register for say Club Night or Pro Brewers Night. There's lines for those events but they move fairly quickly, as they really just check you have a wristband and name tag.

Back