NG Hellfire Burner - orange flame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
Tomorrow is my first day brewing with my new burner setup for natural gas... I do a boil test today with 16 gallons of water and its completely orange flame under the kettle.

I have a 1/2 in. hose (8ft) from my 1/2 in line out the side of my house. I knew it wouldn't be propane, but I wasn't expecting orange flame at wide open. Is this what I can expect from this setup? How are others doing it?

It seems adding air is my best option, but I have no clue how I'll push air into the vents. I don't have a compressor.

It seems adding air is my best option, but I have no clue how I'll push air into the vents. I don't have a compressor.

Did you read my thread and watch the video in there? The air compressor method was just a proof of concept test.

A simple blower fan will increase BTU output significantly.

Did you read my thread and watch the video in there? The air compressor method was just a proof of concept test.

A simple blower fan will increase BTU output significantly.

Yes, I did. It looks like a great solution, but one I won't be able to recreate for tomorrows brew day. Although it was awesome information for the next brew day.

Hmmm... I wonder if I can convince the SWMBO that I need to borrow her hair dryer for tomorrow without incident....

A hair dryer on low might work. A mattress inflator would be another option.

It's a balancing act to get enough air for a nice clean burn, but not too much that it blows out the flame.

A hair dryer on low might work. A mattress inflator would be another option.

It's a balancing act to get enough air for a nice clean burn, but not too much that it blows out the flame.

I totally have a mattress blower... You're a genius! thank you!

Brew day went well, although it was my birthday brew and quite a few friends showed up. We finished a keg and I'm paying for that now.

I couldn't find the blower, but to be honest the burner did well. It never took the boil to a super core boil, but it was a perfect gentle boil and didn't take too long.

Brew day went well, although it was my birthday brew and quite a few friends showed up. We finished a keg and I'm paying for that now.

I couldn't find the blower, but to be honest the burner did well. It never took the boil to a super core boil, but it was a perfect gentle boil and didn't take too long.

Latest posts

Back