NFL Quiz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4th and 1 on opp. 10 yd line, you're up 42-10 in the 3rd quarter - what do you do?

• Kick a field goal

• Go for it

• check with the guy running the camera in the stands

Results are only viewable after voting.
Evil Empire my ass. Yankees are evil because stupid Steinbrenner pumps his own millions into it and buys all the good players out.

The pats, on the other hand, are cheaters. But regardless of that, the real reason for my scorn is Robot Brady's soulless eyes. Every time I see his mechanical face barking robot orders behind the line, I pray for his operating system to crash right as he snaps it. How awesome that would be. You look into his eyes and all you see is the BSOD. Then some 300-lb lineman sacks him and BAM, Belicheat's gotta call tech support in India to help get him back online. Freakin' sweet.

And if you don't believe me, pay special attention to his eyes next time you watch them play. He is, without a doubt, a robot.

the_bird said:
Go for it. Kicking the field goal is an automatic 3 points; why not give the defense the opportunity to stop you?

I now realize where you got this line from. Belichik himself said it. That alone should tell you something about it.

Also, I read this article this morning on profootballtalk.com and found it interesting:

POSTED 8:37 p.m. EST; UPDATED 8:49 p.m. EST, November 20, 2007
PATS GENERATE RECORD POINT SPREAD

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports that the New England Patriots are a whopping 23.5-point favorite over the Philadelphia Eagles.
The Pats host the Eagles on Sunday night. Amazingly, NBC opted to broadcast the slaughter of the birds, only days after the slaughter of the turkeys.

Paolantonio reports that it's the largest point-spread for an NFL game not involving an expansion team.

Folks, the Eagles are 5-5. When the Dolphins go to Foxborough next month, the line will likely be north of 30. "Nowadays, you don't see too many spreads over 16 or 17 points," Sean Van Patten, an oddsmaker at Sports Consultants in Las Vegas, told Paolantonio. "That's because most teams take their starters out in the fourth quarter of a lopsided game. The Patriots don't. I call this phenomenon The [Bill] Belichick Factor."

The point spread is not an indicator of respect or a predictor of outcome. Instead, it's a device aimed at generating equal betting on both teams. So the spread keeps going up until the action on the favorite equals the action on the underdog.

On second thought, maybe the spread for the Fins-Pats game will be more than 40.

It seems to me that the Pats are truly taking this one game at a time (there has not been a single game all year when they were not solely focused on that week's opposition - no "trap games" - which is why I think it's likely they'll go 16-0).

At the same time, though, they're playing for history. They're playing to absolutely dominate the rest of the League, but not just the league; this year is all about securing Tom Brady as the best quarterback of all time, this team as being the best of all time, this run since 2001 as being the most dominant stretch of all time, and hell - Belichick as being the best coach of all time. Now, even I am not going to argue that all of those are the case - but that's what's at stake. In thirty years, when they see that the Pats beat their opponents by an average of twenty-five points per game, when they see that Randy Moss outscored half the league, when Brady throws seventy-five touchdowns and half a dozen interceptions - there won't be any disparaging what they have acccomplished. This is Mission: Permanant Respect that we're watching unfold, and they're just giving a bug "F*ck you!" to anyone that stands in their way.

I have a question, everyone keeps saying the Pats are arrogant and have no class, but when was the last time you heard ANYONE in the organization say ANYTHING bad about their opponents? Does anyone on the Pats go TO and say inflammatory things about other players at their position? Has Bill ever said 1 bad thing about Mangina? (and please don't give me a lecture about the whole handshake thing, these are grown men, not little boys).

Seriously, here is a team that never has a bad thing to say, and just because the score a lot of points they are demonized? I just don't get it.

(I won't argue about the cheating, I am on record on the board as saying I do believe that what they did was cheating and I think they should be punished for it. But guess what - THEY WERE. No team has ever lost a first round draft pick, EVER!)

ohiobrewtus said:
Exaggerate much? Of course they're not supposed to hand the ball over to their opponents every time they get in the red zone if they are up by 20 points. That's beyond ridiculous.

I guess I'm the only one that sees the arrogance involved in going for it on 4th and 1 when you're up by 32 points in the 3rd quarter.

When coaching a blowout in the NFL, 31 teams choose one of the following options:

1. Run the ball to kill the clock and get the game over with as quickly as possible. If you score as a product of the run, then so be it.

2. Bring in the scrubs and have them run the full offense so that you can evaluate them in real game situations. If the scrubs manage to score, then good for them.

It ticked me off back in '99 or '00 when Martz was doing it with the Rams, and it ticks me off now. It doesn't matter who's doing it, it's unnecessary and it's very unprofessional.

I'm 100% with you bro. The Pats fans can come up with the "stop them" excuse all they want, it doesn't justify going for it on 4th down up by more than 4 scores. It is insulting. Belicheat will get his due.

Your points above are 100% on the money.

Dude said:
I'm 100% with you bro. The Pats fans can come up with the "stop them" excuse all they want, it doesn't justify going for it on 4th down up by more than 4 scores. It is insulting. Belicheat will get his due.

Your points above are 100% on the money.

What should they have done? If they kick the field goal they are adding points and piling on, if they take a knee they are rubbing it in, if they go for it they are running up the score. At this point it seems like there is nothing they can do that won't be construed as running up the score.

Don Shula, beloved coach of the Miami Dolphins, will be forever remembered as the only coach to finish a season with a perfect record.

In week 9 of the 1972 season, the lowly New England Patriots traveled to the Orange Bowl and were trounced by the Dolphins, 52-0.

Nobody slammed Shula for running up the score. The Pats got their asses kicked, limped back to Boston and nobody thought twice about it. It's professional football not synchronized swimming.

You don't run the score up on the other team and then call them out, call them weak or what ever... That would diminsh the whole point of running up the score, wouldn't it?

The point of running up the score is to demonstrate how bad ass you are.

Boston said:
In week 9 of the 1972 season, the lowly New England Patriots traveled to the Orange Bowl and were trounced by the Dolphins, 52-0.

I was 6.
I would have wanted to see the most lopsided victory known to man.
That's what you want when you are 6. ;)

My point is 30 years from now nobody is going to remember "Spygate," nor the fact that the Pats ran up the score when given the opportunity or were guilt of leaving their starters in too long.

The Pats will be remembered (knock on wood) as the only team to go 19-0 while kicking some major ass along the way.

There all jealous. They all would love to have this team.. As far as cheating goes, It's silly. They all do something to get ahead. If Belicheck was anything, he was arrogant to do it 15 miles from the NFL headquarters. He was told 2 weeks prior not to do this..He did anyway. That's a little much.

I'm a big pats fan and get much pleasure when they win big. Running up the score, Blah. Bunch of soccer moms complaining..There gonna break all the records this year.

Maybe Brady should take a knee starting in the 2 quarter to give the other teams a chance....:D

olllllo said:
I was 6.
I would have wanted to see the most lopsided victory known to man.
That's what you want when you are 6. ;)

Packers are playing the Bears. You're gonna tell me you wouldn't like to see Favre throw for 8 TD passes and 500 yards for a 56-0 victory?

Here's my take on this-

It's the defense's job to stop a team from scoring. It's not the job of the offense to not score. Like it or not, they are that much better than everybody else.

TheJadedDog said:
I have a question, everyone keeps saying the Pats are arrogant and have no class, but when was the last time you heard ANYONE in the organization say ANYTHING bad about their opponents? Does anyone on the Pats go TO and say inflammatory things about other players at their position? Has Bill ever said 1 bad thing about Mangina? (and please don't give me a lecture about the whole handshake thing, these are grown men, not little boys).

Seriously, here is a team that never has a bad thing to say, and just because the score a lot of points they are demonized? I just don't get it.

(I won't argue about the cheating, I am on record on the board as saying I do believe that what they did was cheating and I think they should be punished for it. But guess what - THEY WERE. No team has ever lost a first round draft pick, EVER!)

Hmmm... wasn't Tom Brady quoted as saying that they want to "kill" and "demoralize" their opponents recently? I don't have the exact quote but just heard it on PTI a couple of hours ago. Doesn't that fit the very definition of what you said that the never do?

Look, I'm not jealous of the Patriots. Sure I wish that the Lions had a better team than what they do. Sure, I wish that they were 10-0 like the Patriots - but they're not. I have a great amount of respect for the talent level that is on that team. I'll even go on record saying that I believe that they'll go 19-0 and go down in history as one of if not THE greastest team in NFL history.

The only people in this thread that I see defending the Patriots and their arrogance and disrespect for their opponents are either from the New England area or are flat out Patriot fans.

For me, this has nothing to do with the Patriots. It's about running up the score in the NFL and I'd have a problem with it no matter who is doing it.

Everyone knows everyone in the NFL, and there's a lot of things that go on behind the curtains that the general public never know about. There are unwritten rules, and Belichik has decided that he needs to skirt those unwritten rules in order to prove to the world that he didn't need to cheat. Sounds like a sociopath on an ego trip to me, and from Brady's recent comments it sounds like he has his players thinking the same maniacal trip.

These guys get paid millions of dollars to PLAY A GAME for a living. With all of the thugs making it 'rain' at strip clubs, players in jail for running dogfighting rings, trying to run over cops in Minnesota (sorry, I couldn't resist :D), beating their wives and getting caught with pot on them while they get a DUI it would be nice for once if someone did something with some class for once.

For the last 4 or 5 years, the Patriots DID do it with class. Now they're just thugs like everyone else - just in a different way.

I heard what he said and he said was he wants to "blow out", not demoralize..What the hell is wrong with that. Every player wants to score as many points as they can. His only goal is to win.If he intimidates teams by scoring a bunch on the previous weeks team to get an edge.. So what.

Ohio, i'll give you props for one thing, your consistent about hating the score being run up..Calling them thugs is rediculous...:rolleyes:

Bulls Beers said:
I heard what he said and he said was he wants to "blow out", not demoralize..What the hell is wrong with that. Every player wants to score as many points as they can. His only goal is to win.If he intimidates teams by scoring a bunch on the previous weeks team to get an edge.. So what.

Ohio, i'll give you props for one thing, your consistent about hating the score being run up..Calling them thugs is rediculous...:rolleyes:

Actually it would be ridiculous, not rediculous. :D (sorry, ever since Yuri's post about spelling and grammar I see things that I never noticed before in posts).

I'm certainly not calling them thugs in a Pacman Jones kind of way. That would be ridiculous, but leaving your golden boys in when you're up by 32 points and going for it on 4th down (and THROWING in the end zone) - in my opinion that somewhat puts them within the definition of thugs.

TheJadedDog said:
I have a question, everyone keeps saying the Pats are arrogant and have no class, but when was the last time you heard ANYONE in the organization say ANYTHING bad about their opponents? Does anyone on the Pats go TO and say inflammatory things about other players at their position?

I forget the players name but a patriots player said that buffalo should be embarrassed to pick up their pay checks heard it on two news stations around here

why run up the score? why keep brady in?
They have to get brady the touch down record and any other record possible.

For the record I am a huge Bills fan and we went into that game expecting a loss.

Bulls Beers said:
There all jealous. They all would love to have this team.. As far as cheating goes, It's silly. They all do something to get ahead. If Belicheck was anything, he was arrogant to do it 15 miles from the NFL headquarters. He was told 2 weeks prior not to do this..He did anyway. That's a little much.

Not jealous. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching this team, it is like nothing I've ever seen before. I just don't agree that going for it on 4th down is good sportsmanship. Kicking a FG is a perfectly good solution. Putting in your back-ups in the 4th Q is a good solution. Running up the score by kicking FGs and running up the score by going for it on 4th down in FG range up by 35 is completely different.

Boston said:
Packers are playing the Bears. You're gonna tell me you wouldn't like to see Favre throw for 8 TD passes and 500 yards for a 56-0 victory?

No. I was having a coniption fit last week when Favre was still playing in the 4th quarter. A win is the ONLY thing that matters. If the game was in hand, rest your starters. I got flogged on a Packer board for saying that last week. Whatever.

ohiobrewtus said:
Actually it would be ridiculous, not rediculous. :D (sorry, ever since Yuri's post about spelling and grammar I see things that I never noticed before in posts).

I'm certainly not calling them thugs in a Pacman Jones kind of way. That would be ridiculous, but leaving your golden boys in when you're up by 32 points and going for it on 4th down (and THROWING in the end zone) - in my opinion that somewhat puts them within the definition of thugs.

One thing I won't get down on the Pats for is throwing the ball, no matter what the situation, because that is what they do, all the time. Throwing late in a game if you are the Pats is just the way they play ball. But the going for it on 4th crapola is what I take exception to.

After reading thread all the way through, I have something to say.

Any given Sunday!

There will be one team, that will for some reason, be able to match up to the Pats and beat them. We are talking about a professional sports team. What comes around will go around.

As for running the score up. Some teams do it out of spite, and some do it for the psychological advantage. I picked go for 3 points. I agree with some here and rest your starters when the 4th quarter starts. But it all has to do with the character and mentality of the coach.

You go for the TD, if you don't make it it is still very bad field position for the other team, worst than if you made the 3 and kicked off.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
For the record I am a huge Bills fan and we went into that game expecting a loss.

So did I. We live in this town and getting our asses handed to us is the best thing that could have happened to this young team. It STINGS for a long time. It shows fans here and management and ownership themselves just how far this team is off the pace. That loss should be inspirational to the bills to WORK HARDER. Draft better. Get better coaching.

I am shocked that we are selling out games here to watch that crap. As a fan...I want better from my team as with all the other teams should from theirs that get crushed by New England

Latest posts

Back