Next equipment and recipe purchase from NB...suggestions welcomed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
Okay using the 10% coupon from Northern Brewer this weekend to get a few things and looking for suggestions on what I should go with next and what I should brew up next.

Current setup: I extract/partial mash brew right now... not yet onto All-Greain. I keg (3 kegs - in kegerator.) Have the burner, pots (7.5), 3 carboys, homemade beer gun -bottling excess when a keg is needed all the stuff you need for a brew day other than the following:

Equipment (by my priority)
1. Wort Chiller - no more ice baths....bout time...was going to make it but for the cost and labor the hell with it.

2. CO2 Disributor 4 way - currently can only do 2 kegs....big nusiance.

3. A want is: Another corny keg to make it a 4 headed monster kegerator. :) - again its a want... :)

4. ???? is there something out there that other brewers use that might be a hidden secret?

Recipes:

I've done a 2 hearted ale clone, spotted cow clown and Kolsch recently and have the Kolsch, Octoberfest and brown ale kegged. Brown ale is getting moved to bottles this weekend.

I perfer ambers but enjoy all kinds of brews, been on a hop kick of late too....anyways....

I was thinking the following recipes but would like input on what others really like from NB:

1. Chocolate Milk Stout
2. Smashing Pumpkin ale - prep for Halloween parties
3. ????????

Always like to ping my ideas off others so please start shooting back some ideas!

Prost!

My recent purchase were brewer's gloves and a stainless steel turkey baster. Why?

Because the brewing gloves are 12$ pieces of brew-saving, skin-saving precaution. I can stick my arm in a 15 lb grain bill mash to remove a stuck sparge.

And why the SS turkey baster?

BECAUSE THE BARREL THIEF I GOT WITH MY KIT SUCKS. HARD. Now I take effortless, sanitary, non-drip samples. Best 30$ I've spent.

As for kits? I would actually recommend the AHB Double Wit recipe. I threw a beer party for my birthday last week-end and it was a total smash hit.

Are you coming down to the store or are you ordering online?

The baster seems like a really good idea, and I think I'll have to pick one up too. I hate my wine thief.. Drips everywhere. Just brewed a stout and stained some carpet rugs from a dripping wine thief.

I've been looking at the slobber too. Phat tire was good. I will be doing the order online. Any other ambers or lights that people suggest?

Was gonna say come down tonight between 5:30-7 and Gordon Strong will be there. Pick up his book and have him sign it.

That would be cool to get his book and signature...great judge. But if I went to the store I think I might blow my whole paycheck. :)

That would be cool to get his book and signature...great judge. But if I went to the store I think I might blow my whole paycheck. :)

haha.. the store is maybe 15-20 min away from me and my paycheck should just be deposited there.. my gf hates the store cause I'll be in there forever just looking at stuff or talking to people.

I've done a 2 hearted ale clone, spotted cow clown and Kolsch recently and have the Kolsch, Octoberfest and brown ale kegged. Brown ale is getting moved to bottles this weekend.

Does Northern Brewer actually sell a Spotted Cow clone? Or where did you get the kit? I would be super interested in that recipe.

I know that everyone else has already said go with the wort chiller, but let me second (eighteenth?) that. I actually don't really save on ice because I still do an ice bath and use the wort chiller (it's halved my cooling time).

I just brewed NB's hefe kit and it came out great! Although considering how far north you are, it may be a little late for a hefe. Our summer here in Northern VT is coming to a close fairly soon.

I now want a stainless steel baster!

Does Northern Brewer actually sell a Spotted Cow clone? Or where did you get the kit? I would be super interested in that recipe

Yes, it's called speckled heifer.

+1 more for the wort chiller. I am still not sure how people brew without these.

My turn- as an attorney dork, I always research **** before I jump. You definitely need a wort chiller. Look at it this way- you probably spend $4 bucks on ice every time you brew. Just pull the trigger and get one (warning- unless you have cold tap water running through wort chiller, I find mine worthless- I'm getting ready to buy a second one and immerse the first in ice water (ice from fridge)- I live in MS and the tap is close to 87 degrees). If you are getting a kit- go for the Caribou slobber. First kit I ever got and it was based on the ASS loads of good reviews it got. Super easy, drinks good early, drinks great after 3 weeks conditioning and will not dissapoint. Good luck! Other options are maybe a flask and stir plate for starters?

Yeah I did the spec hef kit. Wort chler wims. :) I have not don't a yeast starter yet but may look into that as well. Father in law just asked for a raspberry brew...thinking raspberry wheat?

+1 again on wort chiller. That with a fountain pump to circulate ice water(30 bucks from Lowes) and you can cool your wort to any temp you want. It's mandatory here in va in the summer. If you're not doing full boils, the little chiller is fine.

I made my chiller, but if you're looking for amber kits, try the Waldo Lake Amber. My keg is about to run dry, which will be a sad day in this house.

JeepDiver said:
+1 on the ciller. I also love my refractometer, makes checking gravities a breeze on brew day

+22 on the wort chiller. I bought one right off the bat so I wouldn't have to deal with ice baths.

+1 on the refractometer, that will be my next purchase....oh, and another glass carboy!

Back