Next batch(s) recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a single mash and splitting it to get 5.5 into 2 separate fermenters. I will also steep some specialty grains separately to add to one of the batches. I'd like some feedback on the recipe and plan before I buy what I need

20lbs of 2 row
2 lbs of Maris Otter
2lbs of carafoam

Mash at 152 for 1 hour, batch sparge in 2 equal steps.

Batch A
American Amber Ale
Steep 1lb of crystal 120L and .5lb Amber malt in 2.5qt of water at 152 for 45 mins - add to wort after final sparge.
1oz Willamette - 60 mins
1oz Willamette- 5 mins
WY1272 yeast

Batch B
Blond Ale
1oz Rakau - 30 mins
WY1272 yeast
Add 59oz of Simply Limeade 4 days after pitching (this batch is for my father-in-law, who enjoys light beer, especially BudLight Lime in the summer. He asked me for something, and I found the Limeade thing in my research)

I will buy a single smack pack and build a 1L starter, cold crash & decant. I will then step it up to 1.6L starter, cold crash and decant again, then do 1 final step up to a 3L starter that will be split between the 2 batches.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Interesting approach by splitting and steeping, have you done this before?

I doubt you will get anything out of the 2lbs maris otter, keep it for another batch.

Interesting approach by splitting and steeping, have you done this before?

I doubt you will get anything out of the 2lbs maris otter, keep it for another batch.

I have not done it before, but I do have 2 kettles, and have spent quite a bit of time planning the process out.

I have the two pounds left over from a previous batch, and I'm not sure when I'll get to brew again, so it was more of a "use it up" ingredient.

Re: the amber, a full lb of 120 would be a lot for me as I seem to get a burnt character from it in large amounts. If I were brewing I would either go for something in the 60-80 range, or split it between 120 and a lower L crystal. You can add a few oz of midnight wheat, chocolate, etc. for color adjustment if you need.

I like the idea of getting 2 different beers out of one mash. What OG are you targeting?

Re: the amber, a full lb of 120 would be a lot for me as I seem to get a burnt character from it in large amounts. If I were brewing I would either go for something in the 60-80 range, or split it between 120 and a lower L crystal. You can add a few oz of midnight wheat, chocolate, etc. for color adjustment if you need.

I like the idea of getting 2 different beers out of one mash. What OG are you targeting?

Thanks for the feedback. After doing a little digging on the 120, I think I may back that out and go with 1.25lb of 80 or 90L.

I'm targeting a 1.057 OG for both beers. I built my mash tun big enough to handle 10 gallon batches, but want some variety in my beer selection. If this works closely to as well as I'm hoping, it will not be the last time I do it.

Back