Next 3 Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I'm assuming you brew outdoors or in an unheated garage. I used to stop brewing when it got too cold as well then a couple of years ago I bought an all-in-one (Anvil Foundry) and can brew indoors during the winter. That was a game changer. Even brewing just once a month means I can get in 4 to 6 more brew days per year than before.

I love brewing in a cold garage :)

Kolsch recipe looks good, but I've had better luck with all Tettnang vs Mittelfruh and Tett. Wyeast 2565 and Omega Kolsch II have been the best Kolsch yeasts I've used so far. Lallemand Koln was just ok. Very similar to WLP029 and Imperial Dieter. You might want to think about a 90 min boil for all that Pils malt too. I recently switched back to 90 min boils with Pils, and I get a crisper finish.

I'm assuming you brew outdoors or in an unheated garage. I used to stop brewing when it got too cold as well then a couple of years ago I bought an all-in-one (Anvil Foundry) and can brew indoors during the winter. That was a game changer. Even brewing just once a month means I can get in 4 to 6 more brew days per year than before.
i Have an 220v eBIAB, but with cars and such in the garage it is a PITA. Also still have to run water for chilling and I am messy...leads to ice skating

I’ll beat the get-rid-of-the-caramel drum. I don’t think you want it in your Irish red at all, but if you must, use a medium British crystal in smaller quantities instead; it’s much more flavorful. For the Bock I’d also drop the caramel. I like very small amounts of DRC (which I suppose is crystal, too) and chocolate rye in my dark bocks.

I’ll beat the get-rid-of-the-caramel drum. I don’t think you want it in your Irish red at all, but if you must, use a medium British crystal in smaller quantities instead; it’s much more flavorful. For the Bock I’d also drop the caramel. I like very small amounts of DRC (which I suppose is crystal, too) and chocolate rye in my dark bocks.
DRC?

And I was on a zero crystal kick for years...

Understanding that I have never used DRC, and it still a C malt, and is about 100L in color, why should I replace the 90L Crystal with it?
This is an honest question; I really am looking for the reason

Thanks
I did say “a very small amount,” so you’re dialing the crystal way back. I like DRC for the additional roast-but-not-astringent notes that it adds. Also, and this might just be me, or it might be because I use it sparingly, but I don’t think it adds sweetness in the same way a 90L caramel would.

Back