Newcomer to Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titletowngirl

Reaction score
I am about to brew my second batch. I'm using a kit with spices: bitter orange, lemon zest, and adding coriander and ginger. When boiling, can I use a grain bag to boil the spices in to avoid straining it. I just don' want to introduce bacteria. or should I not worry about that too much?

Welcome to your new obsession. Yes you can use a grain or hops bag during the boil for your spices. You don't need to worry about contamination during the boil. It's during and after cool down that you need to have everything sanitized :mug:

Are you brewing a Blue Moon type beer?

You can use grain bag without any problems. I sometimes do this with my hops. Almost anything tossed in during the boil will be sanitized by the heat.

I'm using a Summer Ale kit and going to add some ginger and coriander. Thinking about using 1 oz. of crushed coriander and about 1/4 oz. of fresh peeled ginger. Thoughts?

If you are zesting your own fruit, make sure to wash them really well before hand. Boiling will kill bacteria, but pesticides can create off flavors.

Cheers:mug:

Is this the Brewer's Best summer ale kit? Sounds like it. My wife brewed that one as her 1st on NHB's day. Came out clear & good.

From my experience, crushed coriander is an extremely powerful flavor. The last wit I made had way too much coriander flavor for my tastes and I used a full oz. If that is what you are going for, that should be perfect but if you want a slightly less powerful coriander flavor, I'd consider dropping it to half an oz.

If this is the Brewer's Best summer ale kit,bitter orange zest,lemon zest,& spices are already in it. Coriander too. Just dried.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate all of your tips and expertise. I'm very excited about brewing and so glad I have people out there to answer my questions/concerns.

I wouldn't bother with a bag myself, but ultimately it's up to you. Unless you whirlpool or decant off the hot/cold break material, you'd have to strain it anyway. A little cloudiness doesn't bother me, so I usually just dump the whole kettle in my primary, break material, hop residue and all. No point bothering with a bag. But I think that's just a matter of preference.

Latest posts

Back