Newcastle clone update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
(related to another thread)

Newcastle Clone Update.

Ok, popped a couple and they are very tasty but it isn't any Newcastle clone. More carbonation than your Newcastle and sweeter as well.

Leads me to another question. I've now been able to begin consuming my first two ever batches brewed. These are Extract kits, steeping grains, pellets and dry yeast kits. A Nutbrown Ale (newcastle clone) (kit created by local brewer) and a Euro Bock (by Brewers Best/came with my equip Liquid malt extract. Too lazy to type ingredients). Both seem to be sweeter than my acquired taste prefers. I know the styles/tastes; Head retention on both have been quite nice yet almost too carbonated. Buzz factor is very well :D I have another in the fermenter which is a apricot wheat for the wife that I know is going to be sweet.

Anyway, I'm just curious on the sweeter taste I'm receiving. Is it the pellets, dry yeast, extracts in general be it DME or LME? I know the recipes I've chosen have this potential but... Well, my next venture will be a serious IPA and if that comes out sweet I'll be pissed and know somethings up!!

If I could only email some taste tests :D

desertBrew said:
(related to another thread)

Newcastle Clone Update.

Ok, popped a couple and they are very tasty but it isn't any Newcastle clone. More carbonation than your Newcastle and sweeter as well.

Leads me to another question. I've now been able to begin consuming my first two ever batches brewed. These are Extract kits, steeping grains, pellets and dry yeast kits. A Nutbrown Ale (newcastle clone) (kit created by local brewer) and a Euro Bock (by Brewers Best/came with my equip Liquid malt extract. Too lazy to type ingredients). Both seem to be sweeter than my acquired taste prefers. I know the styles/tastes; Head retention on both have been quite nice yet almost too carbonated. Buzz factor is very well :D I have another in the fermenter which is a apricot wheat for the wife that I know is going to be sweet.

Anyway, I'm just curious on the sweeter taste I'm receiving. Is it the pellets, dry yeast, extracts in general be it DME or LME? I know the recipes I've chosen have this potential but... Well, my next venture will be a serious IPA and if that comes out sweet I'll be pissed and know somethings up!!

If I could only email some taste tests :D
DME seems to be WAY sweeter than LME. Couple of things maybe to try....darker steeping grains may produce less-than-sweet flavors. Also, hops that are more for bittering help too. Use them for the entire length of the boil. This is a great hops reference: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-3.html

NUCC98 said:
DME seems to be WAY sweeter than LME. Couple of things maybe to try....darker steeping grains may produce less-than-sweet flavors. Also, hops that are more for bittering help too. Use them for the entire length of the boil. This is a great hops reference: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-3.html

I thought I read in some other thread someone state that DME was usually a better selection than LME and also not as sweet as LME. Maybe a good starter thread of "DME vs LME - If not an all-grainer the pluses/minues of each..."

PS - the Bock has settled out nicely. Just took the full recommended 5 weeks in the bottles. I'm now preferring this one to the brown ale. Sweetness has gone way down. Guess I just have to stop being too quick at the draw with the bottle opener. :p

Like I always say....you can't rush a natural process. You would be better off waiting.

Right now I have at least 8 cases of 6 beers (some ready some aging), 1 Oktoberfest and 1 Czech Bud in carboys in the garage, 1 Czech Bud just transferred to the secondary and 1 Hefe Weizen ready for transfer to a secondary.

Back