Newbrewer from Orange County, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloussant

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought most of my brewing equipment from a retired homebrewer this past Saturday via Craigslist, and started brewing Sunday. The seller was a super nice guy and was really helpful in answering my noob questions. The HB community seems cool so far.

I picked up an extract kit from a local HB store, Stein Fillers, in Lakewood. It's a Brown Ale and I'm hoping it turns out like Newcastle. I figured I'd start off simple by emulating something familar in order to gauge my success. If it tastes similar, I'll know I did thing right. If not, I'll have to work on my technique (I'll also have a lot of ****ty beer to drink).

The batch is in primary fermentation as I write this. Good luck to all you other newbies, and if there is anyone else around the North OC area who want to meet up and brew together, lemme know.:mug:

Hey dude, Im in fullerton. I would be down to brew. Or even go in on grain buys.

@ Andysam
Since I'm still new, I'm brewing from extract, but when I move to AG, I'd definitely be down to go in on orders with you. Do you order most of yours online? Or from a local homebrew shop?

@JediJoel
Born at Whittier Hospital. May the force be with you

Down in Irvine here. Glad to see you found Stein Fillers - great place and great prices. The only other option is O'Shea's down in Laguna Niguel but their prices are ridiculous.

A very drunken wuzzup to my fellow LA/OC area brewers.

Question: Has anyone in the area brewed the Steam Beer kit from Stein Fillers HBS? If so, any tips or changes to the recipe? Is the lagering step recommended?

Also, anyone on these forums belong to the Long Beach Brewers Association? Is it active enough to spend the money?

____Transmission___
Instructions per Stein Fillers:

...Ferment at 60-65F for 3 weeks. Then bottle or keg and allow to mellow at 32-40F for two or more weeks. If chilled temps are not possible, then keep at as cool of a room temp as possible during fermentation. At room temp fermentation should only take 2 weeks.

Optional Step: Lager the beer. ALlow the beer to warm to room temperature for a day or two then transfer into a sanitized fermenter and drop the temp to 32-40F for 3-8 weeks before bottling or kegging.
_____End Transmission____

My question: Since I've never fermented at these temps, can the "mellowing" of the bottles be done in a normal refrigerator?

Since I've never fermented at these temps, can the "mellowing" of the bottles be done in a normal refrigerator?

Yes, most fridges can hold in that range without a problem.

11 years in Fullerton, right next to the airport. Moved there in '81.

only on my 2nd now. VERY new to brewing. My 1st was a pale ale...that i was glad came out just fine :D.
My 2nd is a totaly modified brewferm Triple kit. ( it only brews 2.5 Gal, so I added 5 lbs LME, Orange peel, Corriander & a bit more hops ) ...to make 5 Gal. should bottle it this weekend.

I'm in old town orange, all grain... Got an American IPA, rye IPA and Belgian Dubel in the fermenters. Just cut open an old keg on Sunday to use as my kettle.

Welcome! Much to learn here and many helpful people who are always ready with advice. Have fun.

Back