Newbie with Chocolate Mint Wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms8miranda

Reaction score
Newbie here.....started wine-making last fall.

I started Martina's After Eight Chocolate Mint wine last October. I didn't add the acid blend until I transferred to a carboy (like I had read about). I bottled it yesterday.

It had been 5 months so I was sure it was done....hadn't seen/heard anything from air lock. So I added a little wine conditioner (potassium sorbate & invert sugar) to each bottle before siphoning.

There was some left over which I drank (no conditioner added). It was very, VERY sweet and not much alcohol to it. Apparently it needs to ferment more but I'm pretty sure the yeast is dead and also I already added potassium sorbate.

Is it possible to put this back in a carboy with a little yeast and let it ferment some more?

Newbie here.....started wine-making last fall.

I started Martina's After Eight Chocolate Mint wine last October. I didn't add the acid blend until I transferred to a carboy (like I had read about). I bottled it yesterday.

It had been 5 months so I was sure it was done....hadn't seen/heard anything from air lock. So I added a little wine conditioner (potassium sorbate & invert sugar) to each bottle before siphoning.

There was some left over which I drank (no conditioner added). It was very, VERY sweet and not much alcohol to it. Apparently it needs to ferment more but I'm pretty sure the yeast is dead and also I already added potassium sorbate.

Is it possible to put this back in a carboy with a little yeast and let it ferment some more?

You need to read this blog post:

Everything you know about potassium sorbate is wrong! - Beer, Wine, Homebrew, and Everything Fermentable! - fermentarium.com

The guy accidentally add potassium sorbate instead of the yeast. Read about how he saved his wine.

Thank you....that helps a lot. :)

So with a wine that has already fermented some but died out, is it OK to add a yeast starter?.....his wine hadn't started fermentation at all.

If so, I'm wondering if I should/could add the yeast nutrient (food grade urea and ammonium phosphate) again ? Could I use some of the chocolate mint wine, itself, in the starter? Or just sugar water?

Back