Newbie ready to bottle, wanna do it right!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malenkylizards

Reaction score
So I've got five gallons of blackberry mead I'm ready to put into bottles, which I've never done before.

A few questions:

- Before I bottle, I want to backsweeten the stuff, and sulfite the yeasts. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this stuff on the day of? Does order matter?
- I have bottles of different types, I can provide more info on this later; most are 750mL, I have a couple of 1.5L, some have [pardon lack of terminology] an exaggeratedly concave bottom, I'm going to guess that they have different neck heights and mouth diameters. Obviously the neck and mouth differences matter, but I don't know to what extent or how to compensate for differencs; anything else I need to keep in mind? Anything to keep in mind as far as glass color goes other than aesthetics?

My plan is as follows:
- Dishwash and sanitize the bottles, leave them in the open dishwasher to dry
- (they'll be soaking in hot water and maybe a drop of bleach overnight so I can scrape off the labels)
- sanitize my five-gal plastic bucket with spigot, rack the mead into it
- add 2 pounds of honey and sulfites per instructions
- stir up!
- sort bottles by diameter [I'm going to need to go to the homebrew store to get more corks if they have different widths, check when home]
- rack 'em in, cork 'em up!

What am I forgetting? What are some common rookie mistakes?

better to soak the bottles in hot water and oxiclean to get those lables off. You don't want any bleach residue on your bottles.

Otherwise sounds good to me.

Can you comment on neck lengths? I understand that I'll need to adjust my corker but I have no idea how to judge it, and I have a finite amount of corks with which to make mistakes.

Also, okay, no bleach noted...should I be worried about detergent in the dishwasher, or can I wash 'em like I'd wash plates and forks in there?

Afraid I have never corked before. I would guess the amount of headspace left by the bottleing wand should work for you, hopefully someone with more corking experience will chime in on that.

As to washing, A dishwaster will only wash the outside of the bottles effectivly. I wash bottles in my sink using either dishwasher detergent or Oxiclean, and a bottle brush to scrub the insides. I rince and put them in the dishwasher standing upsidedown to dry, and then sanitize with a 1 minute soak in either starsan solution on Idophor solution, before drying a 2nd time.

Is the mead carbonated? If so, you will not want to use wine bottles unless they are champagne bottles.

I've never had an issue with bleach soaking bottles, works as good as oxyclean. Either way you need to rinse them well and then use a no-rinse sanitizer before bottling.

Alright, is done. :) Several questions follow:

Pretty nicely done, I think, though only time will tell...only thing that went wrong was apparently I bottled a wee bit too soon. I had clarified with Sparkalloid, and it was clear enough for me to do a Sudoku through if I had the inclination, and we're talking about a blackberry mead here, so pretty dark. Anywho, I suppose that what I should've done is racked shortly after Sparkalloiding, which was a couple of weeks ago, because there was about an inch of sediment on the bottom of the carboy on bottling day, but I would've though that it wouldn't get racked into the bucket. Anywho, in the clear bottles, there's still a little bit of sediment that's collected in the bottom. I'm not too worried; it's just that little bit to show it's homebrewed. :p Still, I'll try to eliminate that for future batches. How do you guys rack to really eliminate that stuff?

The stuff is a beautiful, weird, orangish-purplish pink amalgam of color that looks great in the clear bottles, though most of 'em are green. Corking went okay, but a few of 'em weren't pushed in too well, maybe protruding between an eighth and a quarter of an inch; I left 'em alone, thinking the seal was good enough. Is this risky? If so, how would you push the cork in further? Also put some decorative PVC shrink-wrap caps on top, and my sweetie and I MS-painted some labels that we'll put on this weekend. Pics later. In the meantime, they're in empty cardboard wine cases, on their sides, cases wrapped in a couple of trash bags to contain mess should anything 'splode. I read that they should be on their sides at first to get the corks moist...should they be on their sides indefinitely? I would think, given the sediment, that I'll want to have them right-side up to let that stuff collect to the bottom for neater decanting.

Back