Newbie question!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe80

Reaction score
What are the advantages of doing more of a full boil than a partial when I'm doing extract. I just found a brand new 7.5 gal pot I found that I had put up

Up to it! Down to it!

Less chance of infection. Boiling the wort kills the bacteria that exist in the water
If you do a partial boil and then add 2 gallons of water that haven't been boiled you run more of a chance of an infection from the not boiled water
In a full boil everything gets boiled

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry in a full boil the entire batch gets boiled and all the bacteria killed

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

A 7.5 pot and you will need to watch for boilover closely
8.5 is better, but the 7.5 will work

the advantages of full wort boil are a few, the density of the sugars are the same as an all grain so you do not worry about caramelizing the sugars. however add the extract at about 150 degrees and stir while adding, that way they will go into suspension real fast, at 70 degrees they do not dissolve as fast and carmelization can be an issue

Hobs utilize better at lower densities also, a good recipe or extract will use 15 to 20 percent more hops than the same recipe for an all grain. that is because most extracts are partial boil and all grains usually are full boil and the hops do better in the lower density wort of a full boil

with full boils most guys already will have a wort chiller and they can chill the wort down fast, which is a good thing as it means leaving a lot of stuff in the pot that can be transferred with hot wort. Plus the longer you let that wort sit outside of the fermentor the more chance of catching an infection.

Lots of benefits to full volume wort boils, only negatives are cost of equipment.

The only thing with that is how much harder will it be to cool down in an ice bath because I do not have a wort chiller

Up to it! Down to it!

So, to continue the newbie vibe, when doing an extract kit/recipe if you mix all of the ingredients (all water, DME, LME, etc.) you CAN go ahead and boil it all before chilling and adding the yeast? I know the first 2 beer recipes I have made specifically said NOT to boil but they also only had me using a small amount of water to mix the dme/lme then adding the rest after it was in the carboy.

Back