Newbie question on first wort chiller 'degreasing' wash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murrayatuptown

Reaction score
Hi:

I've only done a few 1 gallon kits & am getting ready to do my first 5-gallon...all new equipment & doing it outside.

Bought a small (25') stainless steel coil wort chiller, not as thermally efficient as copper, but I'm tired of purchasing more & more things.

Instrux say to degrease it before first use.

Dishwasher work? If yes, whatever pod we have in the kitchen, or dry DW powder only, with minimum chemical features?

Thank you.

Murray

Liquid dish soap should do just fine for a first wash. That’s what Spike recommends for their new stainless steel equipment to remove any leftover machining oils, so it should do just fine for a wort chiller. I prefer unscented.

Really you could even stick to dish soap for any post-use washes as long as you’re cleaning as soon as you’re done with it. Shouldn’t have to worry about gunk getting really stuck on it for something used for such a short period of time. I’ve never had any issues with just using dish soap and a sponge for my wort chillers.

Hot soapy water (dish soap), and then rinse with clean hot water. Do the same thing after every use.

Thanks, all.

Dish detergent worked fine. I'm not sure there was anything on it, but I tried to be thorough.

Back