Newbie here: Please confirm my SG reading and a quick question on first batch progres

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispyc21

Reaction score
Newbie here: Please confirm my SG reading and a quick question on first batch progress

To me it looks like it’s right on the hash mark right above the 1.000 line. That’s .998 correct?

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Crispyc21/media/Wine/2ndSGReadng.jpg.html

I just started my first batch of Island Mist Strawberry Watermelon White Shiraz. It says after 5 days to check and the reading should be 1.010 or less and to rack at that point. My reading was .998 which is a lot less than I thought it would be after only five days. My first reading on the first day was 1.046 which is what it should have been according to the directions.
Should I be worried about the difference (between 1.010 and .998) after only five days?

The directions now say to let it sit for 10 days and check the reading. When it’s .996, it’s time to mix in the F-pac and other stuff.
Will it really take 10 days to reach .996 (only .002 less then it is now)? Or should I check sooner?

I don't know anything about wine , but yes your gravity looks to be what you stated!:D

The speed of fermentation depends on lots of factors including ambient temperature and so even after 5 days it is perfectly possible that the gravity has dropped 40 or 50 points. I would check sooner. Yeast is a living thing and does not play by any drum beat except its own.

Either the total time or the SG reading should be used. If the total time has passed (5 days) and the SG is below 1.010, it is ready. If after 5 days. the SG is still over 1.010, wait until the SG goes below 1.010 to move on to the next step.

Also, get a test jar...its pretty difficult to get a real SG reading looking at the hydrometer from an angle. A test jar lets you hold the liquid level right even with your eyeballs!

Many thanks for the input. I'm going to test the SG every day then move to the next step. This is my first batch. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back