Newbie . Have hops , not sure what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffstuff

Reaction score
Hi all, another newbie question wonder if you can help. I'm a new extract brewer , few batches in.. Steeping grains and dme..
Anyway I live abroad and hops here are usually hallertau and cascade
I recently got my hands on 2 or three oz of different types of hops but I have no idea what to be brewing with them .. Any help on recipes would be great or what styles I should try look up.. Thanks for any info ,

Here are the hops
Chinook
Summit
Northern brewer
Golding
Challenger
Columbus..

2 / 3 oz of each..
Thanks again for any info .

What kind of beers do you like? Let us know, and you might find more people chiming in with ideas.

I'm trying to imagine what region of the world only has Hallertau and Cascade - drawing a blank.

If you google "hop characteristics" or anything like that, you'll get lots of sites where you can read about flavor and aroma profiles, typical uses, etc etc etc. Research is fun, I would hate to deprive you of that pleasure.

Cheers!

I love Northern Brewer hops and a style that uses them exclusively is a California Common. It's one I try to keep in a regular rotation.

Hard to go wrong with doing something simple with those Chinook's. Great for bittering but I've also grown to enjoy them as aroma/flavor additions as well. I dry hopped a Pacific Northwest Red ale with them and it turned out awesome.

A lot of those hops scream IPA to me. I used Hallertau recently for something but I don't recall off the top of my head what it was

I use Hallertau for my German beers. I brewed an Oktoberfest Lager with it as well as a Bavarian Hefeweisen. Both were great with Hallertau. I also grow it so that helps.

beerloaf

Thanks for the input . I have been reading up as well but as I novice I'm afraid to go mixing and matching with out some sort of confirmation . Ha

I'm based in Korea and the cascade and hallertau are what seems to be the norm. Again as a newbie I could be wrong . I did get Saaz recently ...
As for the beer I like . Ipa stouts and ales all have a place in my fridge. But I'd like to try anything new. Thanks again for any help..

Yeah the availability is little issue here, hence me not knowing what to do with them when I do get them haha .
But I'll take any advice on what goes well together

Do you use beersmith or any other software to help design beers? If I'm not sure exactly what I can or want to brew I just mess around on beersmith with different hops, grains, and styles. It also gives a pretty good description of hop/grain profiles.

Well,East Kent Golding & Willamette are a classic combo for English ales. The "C" hops are common in IPA's along with cascade,citra & the like. (lookin through my yellowing brew notes)...German Perle & Czech Saaz are good in my APA. US Golding & German Haulertaur were good in my dark ale/whiskely ale.
In my IPA,speaking of "C" hops,I used 1.5oz each of Columbus,nugget,& cascade the last 25 minutes of the boil. The last .5oz of each for the 1 week dry hop. For my copy of the old #3 Burton ale (strong ale),I used 1oz each of US Golding,US Fuggle,& Willamette.
For my version 2 of my APA,I used 1oz each of Ahtanum & Sterling.
You can look up lists of hops,with all pertinent info to get subs for most of these. here's one pamphlet from hop union; http://www.hopunion.com/17_HopVarietyHandbook.cfm?p3=open

Back