Newbie From Lubbock, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm a vehicle performance and racist enthusiast, and in need of a new hobby (see username). I've been throwing around the idea of getting into home brewing for a couple years and never took the leap. My wife and I are the proud parents of an almost 4 month old baby boy! So, back to the username, I'm looking for another hobby, maybe a less expensive one (did I chose the wrong hobby fo that?).

So is there a FAQ about home brewing, or some palce to start reading before buying any equipment. I want to get into this the right way, and not waste a ton of money on doing things the "wrong" way.

Anyway, glad I found the forums....I spend about 8-10 hours a day on racing forums, and this is a nice change of scenery so far! Lookig forward to learning this craft!!

:mug:

Hey there and welcome! :mug:
Home brewing can be as expensive or as cheep as you want to make it. Of course everything is relative.
For around 100- 150 dollars or so you can get started home brewing including your first ingredient kit.
Take a look around at these sites and it will give you an idea.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

Also, I would recommend getting and reading The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. It will give you a good background on home brewing and he makes it fun.
and of course- we are here to answer any questions you might have.

#1, Congrats on the young one, and welcome aboard!

#2, what Rich said is dead on right, you can do this as cheaply or as expensively as you want, as long as you're creating beers that you like that's all that matters!

By "vehicle performance and racing enthusiast" I take it you've dumped a fair amount of change into some vehicles? Not unheard of around these boards either. :D Please elaborate!

Welcome again! :mug:

Ize

Well, my last car was a 2000 Z28....heads/cam with matching intakes and throttle body, headers/no cats/dumped exhaust, swapped to a 4 speed auto with a big stall, big gear, big tire, and a bottle :) It was too racercar-ish and with the kid coming we needed something that he COULD ride if in needed.

New car is a 2000 Z28 :) It's just got a few well placed mods, and now I'm trying to find this new hobby to keep my mind off it and keep from dumping all that money into it again! It's difficult because I worked at one of the nation's largest volume parts distributors (OE and performance wise). But here I am at work, on my new forum :mug:

Latest posts

Back