Newbie from Down Under

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewdk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just thought I'd introduce myself, if this belongs somewhere else feel free to move it mods.

I've always been interested in home brewing but never done anything about it, so the wife let it slip she has gotten me a home brew kit for christmas. I'm so damn excited I wanna rip into it right now.

So as I know nothing about home brew I'm just looking for a friendly forum where I can learn and exchange failures and triumphs.

Edit: apologies mods, know I manage to find the Introduce Yourself forum, if this can't be moved feel free to delete and I'll repost.

No worries, it will be moved.

Welcome to the obsession! I know there are lots of sites related to Australian Homebrewing in particular, but you will find plenty of good information here as well, and we have several active members from Down Under.

I think the one thing that sticks in my mind about brewing in Australia is the fact that many there have taken a "no chill" approach to cooling their wort, meaning they do not employ a chiller, and instead simply fill a heat resistant, flexible container with their hot wort and seal it up, allowing it to cool on it's own.

So far the Science is still out on that, but many people see it as a viable alternative in a place where cold water that is normally used during the heat exchange step, is unavailable. It saves much water and the finished beer, according to some accounts, is practically the same as a beer that has been chilled.

I've brewed a stout using that method and it turned out great. I have not yet tried it on a light style of beer though.

Welcome mate, its nice to see another aussie around. Good luck with the post xmas brews!!

Back