Newbie Freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a future home brewer (set to get my kit this month) and I had a question. I have an hardly been used freezer in the garage, and I don't know the exact dimensions of it but I do know at least one 5-6 gallon carboy can fit inside if not two. Now my question is this: is there any homebrewing tasks this dormant freezer could perform? It would be nice if in the near future this appliance saw some use, especially for homebrewing. Thanks in advance!

Plenty of uses! Up first it will likely function well as a fermentation chamber. Keeping your yeast happy and your fermenting beer at the proper temperature is one of the first hurdles of homebrewing that has the biggest return as far as quality and taste is concerned.

There are a number of off-the-shelf temperature controllers out there but if you're "handy", there is a device you can buy online called an STC-1000 that can be built into a very useful temperature control unit for something like a freezer. It can start the freezer to chill the compartment to a set temperature if needed, and can also heat it up if you attach a heater of some kind (mini ceramic heater, small lightbulb in an empty paint can, ceramic reptile heater, etc).

Here is the "megathread" on the STC-1000: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-1000-ebay-temperature-controller-build-330427/

There are also a number of very good youtube videos demonstrating it.

In the future, the freezer might serve you well as a compartment/serving unit for kegs of homebrew. That is called a "keezer" and there are also numerous forum threads and online videos about this.

Consider it pure gold.
You can buy a STC1000 or a similar device like thadass told you.

I agree with the above comments. This can be used as fermentation chamber to control temp. If it is a small freezer (sounds like it might be) it might come into its own as a lagering chamber.

If the system above is daunting i've had great results using a Johnson Controls A419 to control temp.

Thank you all very much for your quality replies, much appreciative. I figured it could help maintaining fermentation temps. I know nothing of electronics or thermostats and wasn't sure if they could only be used for fridges. Good to know I have something useful, and I have a direction to go ill check out all the links. About the kezzer that is really interesting I'm gonna look into that. This freezer will really help during the summer and fall since I live in the hot part of Southern California. Thanks again guys!

Back