Newbie first day of first batch and already in trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahodnett

Reaction score
Just prepared mixed everything together in a starter kit from the Kombucha Shop on amazon.com. Instructions say first fermentation is 7-9 days followed by bottling and a second fermentation for 2 - 5 days. Problem is Ive got a 3 week business trip coming up in 8 days. So here are my options and I am asking for your kind help in advising me which to take

1) initial fermentation for 7 days, bottle for 1 day then refrigerate (just enough time to do this before I depart on trip)
2) initial fermentation for 8 days, bottle for 3 weeks second fermentation and refrigerate when I return from my trip. I dont mind the risk of the bottles breaking while I am gone as long as risk is relatively low. But would this extended second fermentation ruin the batch?
3) initial fermentation for 30 days (from now till I return from my trip), then bottle and second fermentation for 2-5 days followed by refrigeration
4) initial fermentation for 7 days, preserve the SCOBYs, and throw the batch away, and start over when I get back

Is there any risk of ending up with something that will make me sick (food poisoning) making this stuff?

any help much appreciated

I started posting a reply about beer... lol... no idea about tea!

I would probably go with :
2) initial fermentation for 8 days, bottle for 3 weeks second fermentation and refrigerate when I return from my trip.

That should work out OK. Even if you are adding a bit of sugar into the bottles for carbonization on your second. If the buch still tastes a bit sweet after 8 days, maybe not add sugar on second ferment.

I've had similar timeline obstacles as yours, and I simply let the tea ferment longer with no harmful side effects. Especially in the winter, many folks have slower ferment times than summer temps, so this may be to your advantage.

KT likes to be around 77F, so if your ambient is lower that that, it may take 20 days to get your tea to a decent ferment level. I personally like my tea flavor sourish, and once cut with fruit juices for a second ferment, the tea really levels out. Just my take on your schedule.

Back