Newb from Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
Hi,
Just dove into this brewing thing for the first time last night. Got a batch of Irish Red Ale (kit from Midwest Supply w/ specialty grains) going in the fermentor right now. Already the temptation to drink some of it is great, I'll be lucky if I can restrain myself from cracking open the first bottle in less than a week. :D

Anyhow, cool site you've got here, and I look forward to learning from you guys.

Lots of us Chicagoland area guys around here. Are you actually in the city or from the burbs?

Oh, and have a taste of the beer. It's going to get better, but it's sort of fun to see how it progresses

hey, new chicago guy here too!
i live in river west.
good to know there's a few chicagoland folk here - does anyone go to the society meetings at Goose Island on Clybourn?
also, big fan of Midwest Supplies here though I think my next beer im going to order from Northern Brewer.

SRFeldman79 said:
hey, new chicago guy here too!
i live in river west.
good to know there's a few chicagoland folk here - does anyone go to the society meetings at Goose Island on Clybourn?
also, big fan of Midwest Supplies here though I think my next beer im going to order from Northern Brewer.

I've never been to those meetings, but am curious about attending some day. We do, however, try to get toether every once in a while to brew or drink. There is usually SNIZZLE in the title of those threads.

I think the open to the public, free to attend meetings are the first thursday of each month. I'm heading to my first in January maybe...think that'll be worthy of its own thread somewhere?
Where do these SNIZZLE get togethers occur usually?

I'm out in the burbs (Arlington Heights). Yeah, I was pretty impressed with how fast Midwest shipped, and the packaging was excellent. The kits they sell (Brewer's Best?) seem to be pretty high quality with good clear directions too. A co-worker told me about a local place that's right near me called Perfect Brewing Supply (Mount Prospect, and another location in Libertyville). I'll probably be getting most random supplies from there unless they don't carry it.

The goose island meetings sound like fun, I'll probably try to go to one once I've brewed a few batches.

Some of us are meeting up at Chef Paul's Bavarian Lodge in Lisle on Friday at 8:00. You're all welcome to join us there.

rdwj said:
Oh, and have a taste of the beer. It's going to get better, but it's sort of fun to see how it progresses

I plan on drinking the sample for the gravity reading after primary fermentation. I might have to take two samples just to make sure I get a good reading.

i always drink my gravity samples.
like to see how both the flavor and texture evolves.

Welcome. Lots of good folks here and some really helpful threads.

I was a Chicago area noob around this time last year. I'm in Logan Square. 12 batches later and lots of reading on this site and a few books and I feel like I've come a long way in a pretty short time.

I didn't know there was a brew supply in Mt. Prospect. There is a nice one in St. Charles too that sells their own house kits. I made their Dunkel and it was awesome.

My bet is you'll be on to doing your own recipes in no time.

SNIZZLE ay?

good to see theres a lot of us out there
since we cant watch the bears win, we might as well ferment in our own malty/hoppy happiness

Back