New Year Resolution IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorsWalkTavern

Reaction score
My new years resolution is to design a recipe that I can tweak and nail down over a year. After a few days I think I settled on a first draft for an IPA. Let me know what you all think about it. I am really interested in hop addition timings. Cheers!

Mash 90 Minutes

13 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)(Briess)
3 lbs 4.0 oz Munich I (Weyermann)
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess)

Boil 90 Minutes

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 8 5.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 9 2.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 10 5.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 3.0 min Hop 11 1.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 1.7 IBUs

Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days

It sounds like a good starting point for an IPA. Based on your hop additions, it should be very aromatic, not so much hoppy. Any particular reason you are doing a 90 minute boil, but starting your hop schedule at 60mins?

First of all, that's a great name. More people probably resolve to drink less, but this is more exciting! People have different approaches to making a recipe, and no one way is gospel, but here are my thoughts.

Your malts look fine. I see a lot of recipes in this vein. I like that you added some munich. I tend to view the plain 2-row recipes as too bland. You could do more with malt than you have, but this is good.

I'm not crazy about your hop schedule, but they're all good hops. I see folks praise the high heavens for Warrior and Magnum as bittering hops, and there's a reason for it - they work extremely well. I avoided them for a while, and, when I finally tried them, it was a revelation. Highly recommended, especially as a first wort hop, which is a really great technique to get a pleasant bitterness that doesn't get in the way.

After that, I like to do a 10 or 15 minute, a 5, and then a sizable whirlpool followed by a big dry hop. You times are kind of weird. 7 and 3 minutes? Forget it. Put an ounce at 5 and whirlpool the rest.

Pacifica is a little bit of an unusual choice, but what the heck. I use British hops in American IPAs or APAs all the time, so who knows? It looks like you're going for a southern hemisphere vibe, and that's fine. Folks are probably going to tell you to just use one hop or to make more conventional choices. Some of that is justified - you can make easier adjustments with only one hop and the more conventional choices are conventional because they're great. But my attitude is to always dive in head first. Why make a mediocre smash when you can shoot for greatness? Doesn't always work out the way I hope, but nothing has ever been bad either. And once in a while, I do hit on something great. Find your own groove.

A 14 day dry hop is generally considered too long. 3 to 7 is more common, and I usually aim for 5 (although I don't sweat it if I'm a day or two off). This is also a really small dry hop. 1.5oz isn't going to get you where you want to be. I would do at least 3oz, if not more.

So, to recap, do a first wort hop, preferably warrior or magnum, then 15, 5, whirlpool a couple of ounces, and then a big dry hop. Maybe swap in a couple of more conventional C hops, but that's up to you.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I chose the hops times based on that hop utilization chart that is floating around and had used similar times for a Pale Ale. I am interested in playing around though. Based on your suggestions Here is what I came up with.

New Year Resolution IPA
6 Gallon Batch
65% Efficiency
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.014
Est Abv. 7.0%
IBU: 77.6
SRM: 6.4

Mash 90 Minutes @ 150

13 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess) (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 4.0 oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)

Boil 90 Minutes

0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 4 33.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 5.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 7.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 9 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 10 6.2 IBUs
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

This looks a lot better. I have no criticism to add! Best of luck! All that's left is to come back and report success.

An American IPA with nearly 20% Munich could work, but I second focusing on some really aromatic American Pacific Northwest hops for whirlpool/dryhop.

It also pains me to see any amount of Simcoe used for bittering.

Any particular reason you are doing a 90 minute boil, but starting your hop schedule at 60mins?

This is somewhat common for big breweries. You don't necessarily have to wait a neat 30 minutes, but if you wait for the hot break before adding the bittering charge, the proteins and other polypeptides present in the wort combine better with polyphenols or tannins, interfere less with the hop utilization, provide greater clarity, and produce a smoother bitterness.

I prefer it to first wort hopping, which I never do with my IPAs. I just don't believe in that technique for this style of beer.

If down the road, you decide you want to change up the hops, Amarillo works really well with Simcoe. I use the two in my Black IPA. Other than that, looks good. Hope it turns out well.

I prefer it to first wort hopping, which I never do with my IPAs. I just don't believe in that technique for this style of beer.

I do like it for an IPA. But I understand your perspective. I find a 60 minute addition for bittering (especially with a classic C hop) leaves a strong flavor, which can become oppressive. However, I do think it's a good flavor if kept in perspective. I FWH, and then I also tend to add a small amount of another hop as a 60 minute addition to get some bittering flavor.

People have different approaches to making a recipe, and no one way is gospel.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I find a 60 minute addition for bittering (especially with a classic C hop) leaves a strong flavor, which can become oppressive.

Have you tried a 90 minute boil with your first hop addition at 60 minutes? Or perhaps using less hops for your bittering charge?

That would remedy the situation, I think.

Have you tried a 90 minute boil with your first hop addition at 60 minutes? Or perhaps using less hops for your bittering charge?

That would remedy the situation, I think.

Remedy what? This works for me. I was just emphasizing that there are differences in technique... And maybe giving you a little bit of a hard time.

Heres the recipe im brewing for Monday ingredient wise. LHBS didn't have Galaxy in stock so I subbed in Citra. Will post some pics Monday night.

New Year Resolution IPA
6 Gallon Batch
65% Efficiency
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.014
Est Abv. 6.5%
IBU: 70.1
SRM: 7.3

Mash 90 Minutes @ 151

13 lbs oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess) (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel 40L (Briess) (40. SRM)
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)

Boil 90 Minutes

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.75 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 4 41.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 8.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.75 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 7.0 IBUs

1.00 oz Citra [14.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 10 6.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 11 2.2 IBUs

American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

2.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs