New, would love guidance on kezzer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theheadsn

Reaction score
Hello boys and girls :)
My names Spencer, and I need your help.
I'm not sure if this is the right spot on the forum to post, if this should be moved, go right ahead.
I literally just stumbled upon this forum about a week ago, and I've been on an info binge ever since then. I've known a couple of friends that have messed around with kegerators, but I never really felt the need to build one. But then I ran into something bigger, and better, a Keezer. Blew my mind. Seeing as I'm 31 and I've never heard of one before a week ago. In my short time browsing the insane knowledge base that is this forum, I've been trying to rack my brain on what exactly I need and should buy to make this a possibility.

Here is my idea, I would like to be able to have anywhere to 2-4 beers on tap. I don't really PLAN on brewing my own beer, because I have NO idea how to. I may get into it at a later time though, baby steps. So as of right now I figured I would have my line hook up's work for at least 1 Cornelius keg and and 1 normal D type keg (for commercial beers).

As of right now I've narrowed my freezer search down to this:
688057211435.jpg

Idylis 7-cu ft Chest Freezer (White) from Lowes. Figured I was better off buying new since all the used ones I've been able to find locally were either way to expensive or were questionable in quality. I'm able to pick this up for $183 out the door. If this is a good or bad price, please let me know.

I've decided to go with Perlick 630SS Stainless Faucet Chrome Shank Combo Kit, birdmanbrewing.com has them for $53.99 a piece
630ss_chrome_shank_combo__89662.1393261957.1280.1280.png

The tempurature control I'm up in the air about, this will mainly come down to a price/time issue for me.

As far as the building of the collar/coffin, this to me should be the most fun part, seeing as I love using my hands to build, and I've been in construction the better part of my working life. I've been able to pick up a lot of cool pointers from other members builds, which I'm completely grateful for.

Now for the meat and potatoes of the post. I need as much info, opinions, directions, all around guidance on what kind of supplies I should buy. Here's a few of my questions:
1) Normally is a 5lb co2 tank enough for normal use? Pros and cons of it being inside/outside of freezer?
2) Should I buy one new or used? Does it matter?
3) Cornelius keg - Lock or Ball? Used or new?
4) What kind of regulator should I buy? Should I have one for every line? or one main one? I've noticed that different types of beer require different PSI
5) What about hoses? and clamps? Does it matter? Sizing, length?
6) Keg Taps - besides personal preference, is there a pro to having any certain brand/model more then another?

These are just a few questions that I've had rattling around in my brain. Any suggestions on where I should buy, and how much I should pay would be awesome. You're free to praise, complain, help, or lay into me as much you want. Going to dive head long into this, and try to have as much fun as possible.

Thanks again

YouTube Northern Brewer keezer.

The guys on the Vid go step by step and it looked fairly simple.

Hope that helped.

PS: u should try home-brewing,its fun and u can tap your own kegs. ( my 2 cents)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

there's a ton of keezer build threads on here. Just use the search bar and you should be able to find something that will help you. Like Onetime said above, youtube is a great resource too.

And yes, you should totally get into homebrewing! You can't buy fresher beer!

1. A 5lb tank will work for commercial beer for quite a while since it's already carbed up. I, however, prefer not having to have it refilled often, so I went with a 20lb tank. I also place my tank outside so I have more room for beer inside the keezer. Keeping the tank inside will also mess with your regulator reading (the cold makes it look like you have less CO2 available).
2. It matters on why you are going to have it refilled. Some places will refill your tank. Others will swap it out. I doubt you'd want to swap out your new shiny tank for a beat up one. So, I'd figure out how I'd replace my gas when it's empty to decide if I want new or used. (For refilling, check out fire equipment companies. They refill CO2 extinguishers and often do beer tanks as well).
3. Ball lock seems to be the most common, and they have pressure release valves. Up to you for new or used. There is a significant price difference. I went used and got new seals to replace. If you replace the seals, it's practically brand new.
4. From what I've read, TapRite are some of the best. You can split several lines off of one primary regulator, but they will be all the same pressure. If you want different pressures for each keg, you'll want a primary, and then several secondary regulators. This will be expensive.
5. I'd recommend getting a kit from Birdman Brewing. It includes everything you need. He's great to work with.
6. The forward sealing faucets like you picked out are great. They stay cleaner and don't get sticky like cheaper ones. I also like the all stainless steel, so nothing can really go bad with them.

Also, read the kegging/bottling forum, and DIY forum. There's a lot more info out there!

Best of luck!

Webby

I would get forward sealing taps (i have perlick 525ss taps and love them!) so they don't stick in between uses. Once you get any co2 leaks stopped up, you should get between 8-10 5 gallon cornies our of a 5lb co2 cylinder. A good main regulator (i love my taprite ~$65} can be used solo to start, then you can add secondary regulators if you need different pressures later. I still haven't needed to add secondary regs.

I would keep the co2 tank outside your keezer for 2 reasons. First, is you'll have more room in the keezer. But more importantly, with it outside, you can carb up kegs that are waiting to go on tap. This way, when one kicks, you just have to wait for it to chill, not the 1-3 weeks it takes to carb up.

Hope this helps,

Look at the STC1000 threads for a cheap reliable temp controller. The only downfall is that it reads in C instead of F. There is a software mod for it, but its a lot of work and some extra equipment to reprogram it.

Thanks for the info so far :)

I think I've watched over 4 hours worth of build videos on youtube so far lol information overload for sure. Its so cool to see the different ways people can make these things so awesome.

I'll probably end up buying just a used co2 tank. Like it was mentioned, why pay for a nice brand new one, only to trade it in for a beat up one. I had planned on putting it inside of the cooler, but I might keep it out. Still haven't decided on that yet.

As far as having secondary regulators. Is it only specific types of beer that would require different pressure? What is the average pressure you should set it at?

If there's anything else you guys can think of that I should know, or maybe some pointers you can throw my way, I'm all ears

I don't know if you've run across this thread but I found it pretty helpful in designing my setup.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/

I've had some problems with over-foaming from the taps and have been advised (and intend to correct) that 10' - 12' lines will fix that problem. I also started out planning to do a 3 tap tower and have since decided to set up a 4 tap system through the collar. So I have a 3 tap tower for sale if you're interested.

:tank:

I have some details on my keezer build (nearly done now :D) in my sig. Got used ball lock kegs since they have a smaller footprint than pin locks. Used a GE 7.1 cu ft freezer which I got from costco for about $160 which can fit 3 cornies.

I love my perlicks. I have literally not cleaned them for 2 years beyond running some starsan through the lines between kegs and they still pour wonderfully (and are surprisingly not gunky).

I got a single pressure regulator which attaches to a 3 way manifold. If I had more $$ when I got the system, I would definitely get a dual pressure regulator because I brew a lot of belgians and wheats which I like to keep more carbonated than my other beers. I still manage with my current setup, but it would be more convenient with a dual pressure regulator.

Back