New to the game, already hit a snag.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

604brewer

Reaction score
New to the hobby of homebrewing, never realized how hard it is waiting for the magic to finish.

Already hit a snag though, my blonde batch is a week into secondary and looking pretty clear already and then I realized I don't know when to start a new batch so I don't runout. Decisions decisions.

Cheers folks and thanks in advance for any help I may ask for.

Get more fermenters and forget about racking to a brite tank unless it's actually of good use. Doing it just because some sheet says to after X days is not a valid reason. Doing it to age on something that works best off the yeast cake is.

Still, get more fermenters and brew as often as you can. Give each batch enough time to become great before you bottle/keg it up. :D I find that 3-4 weeks for my low OG brews (under 1.065) is good. I give higher OG brews more time depending on what they are. I have three 'normal' size fermenters (tall 1/4 bbl sanke kegs) along with two aging vessels (25L sanke kegs), one 10-12 gallon fermenter (50L sanke keg), 6 mead primaries (1/6 bbl sanke kegs) and one smaller mead aging vessel (3.875 gallon sanke keg)... :D I'll probably get more if I find I need them after moving and brewing more on MY schedule.. :D Every two weeks/weekends is a good start, to build up your pipeline. Adjust by how much you drink (or others drink what you make) as needed.

I just had a pint of my MO SMaSH that had an OG of 1.057, FG 1.011 that was in primary for 3 weeks before going to keg. ~2 weeks at serving pressure and it was carbed and ready to drink. Of course, I also added an ounce of EKG whole hops (in a nylon bag) into the 3 gallon keg. :D mmmm mmmm good.
I'm now having a pint of my English brown ale that went about 4 weeks in primary. I had already finished one 3 gallon keg of it, so this is the second keg (I have 6 gallons to keg from each batch, unless I make a larger batch, like with the MO SMaSH). Damned good and a bit stronger than the MO SMaSH. :drunk:

Basically, be F'ing PATIENT with your brews. You'll be rewarded with greatness in your glass if you do. :D

I solve that problem by brewing a new one each weekend. This weekend is my fourth in a row, so I have IPA, Porter, Amber coming up and I will brew a blond ale this weekend in anticipation of Fourth of July.

I figure I can't drink two cases of beer per week so my supply will only grow. Therefore, my problem is not running out of beer, but rather where to store it all.

"Therefore, my problem is not running out of beer, but rather where to store it all."

yeah, i've got 45 gallons sitting around and i barely ever drink beer. 3 batches in the works too...

That's where I'm going to run into problems, I love making something from nothing, and I can see now I'm going to end up with an abundance of brew.........owell

I just try my best to keep my primary full (budget and wife willing), that way I always have something ready to drink instead of having to buy something from the store. For some reason it just tastes better when I'm the one that made it.

There's a guy who runs an LHBS out here who tries to argue that, really, I need at least 20 kegs.

He has a mountain of kegs. Which are all out in the weather and 100% of them probably need every o-ring and poppet replaced, and he wants $45/ea. But he has volume discounts!

I solve that problem by brewing a new one each weekend. This weekend is my fourth in a row, so I have IPA, Porter, Amber coming up and I will brew a blond ale this weekend in anticipation of Fourth of July.

I figure I can't drink two cases of beer per week so my supply will only grow. Therefore, my problem is not running out of beer, but rather where to store it all.

Thats funny, I brewed a porter, an IPA, and have a Blonde and Kolsch to brew next all in anticipation for the 4th, lol.

That's where I'm going to run into problems, I love making something from nothing, and I can see now I'm going to end up with an abundance of brew.........owell

Worse things have happened to nicer people I'm sure....:mug:

Latest posts

Back