New to Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

My wife and I just relocated from Rhode Island and I just wanted to hello.

I mainly brew beer that isn't all that good but it's a fun process.

The hardest part about the move is being removed from heady topper, sip of sunshine, hill farmstead, and Lawson's finest (and other delicious local ipa's)!

Do any of you have recommendations for good local beer? Any ipa suggestions? I like to smell my beer coming.

Thanks all,

Mark

Where in Texas are you? It's a pretty big state!

Most places in Texas have a relatively new beer scene, so there's been a lot of new stuff recently!

Totally depends on location. My top three TX beers:

Community Mosaic IP
Panther Island IPF'nA
Peticolas Velvet Hammer

I'm DFW Local. You'll find different answers all over the state. Happy hunting!

Sorry, I'm used to Rhode Island being a good enough location description.

We moved to uptown Dallas.

I actually was drinking a community mosaic when I was posting the thread.

Thanks for the input! I'll check out the suggestions!

Community and Deep Ellum make some awesome beers in the Dallas area.

Not from your area but easy enough to find: Saint Arnold, Real Ale, Cedar Creek, Southern Star, Thirsty Planet, etc

Never knew Dallas had local brewery's. Houston, Austin, and everywhere in between are the areas I know that have pretty good brewery's. Saint Arnold's is now nation wide so its not really a local Texas delicacy anymore but they still brew some good stuff.
I love No Label, Real Ale, Karbach, Independence, and Lone Pint. There is still a lot I have not tried.

In Dallas, Peticolas is easily my favorite, but there's new stuff popping up everyday!

Check out Spec's and Total Wine off of 75 and Walnut Hill for a pretty local beer selection. Common Table in Uptown and Meddlesome Moth in the Design District are easily the best beer bars in the area.

Funny, we live in an apartment complex within easy walking distance to common table.

Thanks for the help!

If I can manage to brew a decent beer, I'll enter the deep ellum contest.

Ah it's alright. I've upgraded or changed my system so much that consistent results have been impossible. I'm dialed in on a system for me now.

I'm actually using my kegerator as a fermentation chamber for the first time while I build up my supply.

On that note, does anyone have an extra mini fridge or chest freezer they'd like to sell or are there any discount appliance store in Dallas? I'd like a dedicated fermentation chamber.

+1 on Craigslist. Especially in a bigger city like Dallas. If you are not to picky you should be able to pick one up easy. If you are looking for something specific it could take longer. I spend about two months looking for a 20quft stand-up freezer for 200$. But the wait was worth it.

Welcome to TX my friend.
We relocated from PA 15 years ago (still miss the Yuengling).

For local breweries I'd probably pick Franconia (McKinney) as my fav. They run a great tour on Saturdays too

Back