New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volfan16

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting into legging to save me time (and space) with bottles. I am wanting to test it out this month for my brother's wedding which will be 8 hours away. Because of that and me not having a chest freezer or large enough refrigerator at the moment I am wondering what the steps I need to take are for legging it at room temp. Is it possible? What pressure do I need to put the CO2 at? What all will I need? And finally how long can I keep it at room temp after I keg it?

Just consider what you have to do at the other end. It takes a while for a 5 gallon keg to get cold. There isn't as much surface area as with bottles. I left my keg in my kitchen fridge overnight and it still wasn't as cold as I wanted. I put it on ice the next evening and it was nice and cold the hot next day. Yum.

If you have the time, I would naturally carbonate in the keg, just like you would with bottles.

I am in a similar situation, but I already put priming sugar in the keg two days ago. I would like to serve the beer this weekend. Should I try to force carb it too or will that possibly screw everything up?

If you want to serve it this weekend, you have to put it gas if you want it to be ready IMO. A week on priming sugar isn't enough, you still need 2-3 weeks like you do bottling. If I were in you situation, I'd put it in the fridge on the gas now. The priming sugar that hasn't been eaten yet shouldn't be too noticeable. This'll give it a few days to carbonate and equalize.

Would the flavor that would otherwise change due to bottle conditioning still be there? If not, I will probably just go out a buy a couple of cases of craft beer and wait the normal time for the keg to condition. I am sorry for the questions on top of the original poster. This is my first kegging experience as well.

If you can wait, I would. Since you already primed it, give it 2-3 weeks to condition and carb and then chill it for a day or two and serve, it'll be better beer. Don't rush your first keg (it's difficult not to, I know), you'll appreciate it later.
A bit off topic - Are you sure you have a good seal? Is pressure building in the keg?

I'm strongly considering kegging now too. I feel I'm limited on brewing b/c of limited bottles and bottling 50+ bottles kind of s*cks. I just am hesitant to spend a couple hundred dollars on something I don't know much about and I also don't have a place to keep cool. I deally I would love one of those Nostalgia kegerators but they aren't cheap either. If I had an extra grand laying around I'd be good to go. I want to get a mill too and that's another hundred and a half minimum for a good one. Who knew this would turn into an expensive hobby! :)

Take it back.

Say it ain't so.

We started brewing our own beer to save money, dammit!

oO(and to think I almost believed that when I started brewing!)

natefrog255 said:
Who knew this would turn into an expensive hobby! :)

I'm strongly considering kegging now too. I feel I'm limited on brewing b/c of limited bottles and bottling 50+ bottles kind of s*cks. I just am hesitant to spend a couple hundred dollars on something I don't know much about and I also don't have a place to keep cool. I deally I would love one of those Nostalgia kegerators but they aren't cheap either. If I had an extra grand laying around I'd be good to go. I want to get a mill too and that's another hundred and a half minimum for a good one. Who knew this would turn into an expensive hobby! :)

Ice is your friend. Put two garbage cans, one smaller inside one larger, put insulation between them, and duct tape to keep it sealed. Place keg inside, add ice, seal off the top with an old coat or blanket (I used my old down coat) and put the lid on. It'll keep for 2 days that way, even in the heat.

It can be an expensive hobby. However, once you get your basic equipment, your large expenses are done.

If you have room for a refrigerator, scour around for a used one. I have a half size fridge that I can squeeze 4 corny kegs in. I converted it into my own kegerator by cutting a hole in the side for a CO2 line and 4 holes in the door to mount the faucets. I bought the fridge new, but you can get used ones for $50.

Off topic, slightly, but I'm very pleased with my Barleycrusher mill, which I got for $100.

I'm strongly considering kegging now too. I feel I'm limited on brewing b/c of limited bottles and bottling 50+ bottles kind of s*cks. I just am hesitant to spend a couple hundred dollars on something I don't know much about ....

Hi

Craigs List is your friend. Spend enough time digging for stuff and you can save a lot of money.

Bob

Back