New to Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar510

Reaction score
I just got my corny keg setup and kegged my first beer!

A few questions come to mind now that I have...

1. Can I force carbonate with the picnic faucet attached?

2. How do I clear the picnic faucet of liquid if I detach it from the keg?

3. When bottling, I would rack to the bottling bucket not too worried if some yeast came along. The yeast would settle out in the bottom of the bottle and I could leave it behind when pouring from the bottle to a glass. How does this translate to the keg? The dip tube goes to the very bottom and I assume there is similar settling in the bottom of the keg.

1. Yes, just make sure it doesn't leak beer.

2. I use a pump from this thread. I pump sanitizer through it and leave the line full of sanitizer when storing.

3. I've never bothered racking to the bottling bucket. I rack right into the keg. You get a bit of yeast for the first couple of pours, and then as long as you don't shake the keg, it pours crystal clear.

1. yes you can...just make sure the faucet isn't open. but why chance it? just take it off.

2. when i am done with a beer to clear the faucet..i just fill the empty keg with hot water and oxyclean...during cleaning the keg i put the co2 on the keg and pour some of the solution through it to clean the line. then when i rinse the keg i do the same thing again to rinse the faucet/line

3. i don't use a secondary. i use the primary for a month method that you can read a lot about on here. most of the yeast cake gets pretty packed up by that point. be careful when racking into the keg...but if you are gentle you will get a very clear beer

I also pump iodophor solution through my lines from a keg as stated above. When I do this, to avoid wasting CO2, I created this attachment to pump compressed air into the keg to force the iodophor solution out.

IMAG0183.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies.

3. I should have been more clear. I did go straight from 1 month primary to keg. Even though the yeast cake was dense and I transferred carefully, there would be some settling at the bottom of the keg from the transfer and the chilling of the beer.

Don't worry. Let it rest at kegerator temp for at least a week. Only the first one or two beers should be slightly cloudy. After that you're all good.

I also pump iodophor solution through my lines from a keg as stated above. When I do this, to avoid wasting CO2, I created this attachment to pump compressed air into the keg to force the iodophor solution out.

IMAG0183.jpg

That's pretty trick. I need to try that. I bet there is a fitting to convert from air hose to the nut on the keg connector somewhere. :fro:

Back