New to home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclight

Reaction score
Hello brew brothers

I am new to this trying to learn. My first bear was a dead ringer IPA two bears and you’re good. Between me and you I missed up and did the hops backwards I did not sort when I was on beer smith.

Gave to my friends and family, they loved it, 5gal batch gone in two weeks.

Went to a local brewery bought a RYE IPA because I was out. My wife told me oh you still had beer left over. I LOL

Like to know if you guys made a mistake but still had a good beer?

Hope to hear your stories. We all started somewhere right.

Currently making a Citra Double IPA

Am currently making a Citra Double IPA.

If it takes you two bears to be good, you must be a help of a fighter.
We all make mistakes and usually turn out good beer. Unless your errors are in sanitation or fermentation you will probably make drinkable batches. Kyle

The2Bears.jpg

LMAO.

I've probably made a thousand mistakes and the beer turns out pretty good, every time. Heck, I've been brewing for something like 8 years now and still totally screwed up at least three times my last brew session...100% sober, too! (Maybe that was my problem?!?! Not used to sober brew days?)

Only time I screwed up bad enough to make the beer worthless was when I dropped a carboy off my kitchen counter. Won't do that ever again...it wasn't even the loss of beer, it was the hours of cleaning every dang thing that existed in the kitchen! Don't do that!

I overcarbed my Dead Ringer. It was a foamy mess. I used 3/4 cup of priming sugar in about 4.5 gallons. I anticipated waaay less trub in my bucket. I though I was getting 6 gallons, only got 4.5 and didn't adjust my sugar for whatever reason. No bottle bombs, but it gushed all over the place. Every bottle had pouring instructions. Once all the foam resided,, it was OK. Everyone who tried it liked it. I hated it.

Dead ringer is a good choice for messing up hop additions since they're all centennial and the additions aren't too different other than the 2oz at 5 minutes. I guess if the 2oz went at 60 minutes would be the worst case. 2oz of dry hop wouldn't be too bad though.

I had to stop drinking while brewing. I passed out after a bittering addition till an hour & 45 minutes had gone buy. decided to soldier on anyway. That batch of hybrid lager came out a bit clearer & was actually pretty good with WL029 yeast. Just can't see getting lucky like that twice, though?...:drunk:

I had to stop drinking while brewing. I passed out after a bittering addition till an hour & 45 minutes had gone buy. decided to soldier on anyway. That batch of hybrid lager came out a bit clearer & was actually pretty good with WL029 yeast. Just can't see getting lucky like that twice, though?...:drunk:

Lol, blacked out my second brew day. Don't remember anything after pitching. That was probably best-case scenario. Woke up the next day, everything cleaned and put away, blowoff tube on and hydrometer and beaker still sitting full on the shelf.

Patron and Ivan the Terrible and Squatters Hop Rising = blackout medicine.

I was asked to brew beer for a 300 person wedding recently and the push to get everything brewed in time led to my biggest mistake to date.

I was doing 3 batches over 3 days and had all the grain bills laid out in bags along with the sealed hops. I was in the mmiddle of doing the first hop addition for batch #1 when I happened to glance at the two other grain bills. I saw torrified wheat (which has a very distinctive look) and thought to myself: I dont remember that being in tomorrows brew.....

Turns out I was brewing the wrong beer entirely. I was very lucky that it was just a wheat vs a pale ale. Since they had mash temps within 1 degree of eachother I was covered there, and I had only switched the first bittering hop addition. I immediately panicked, took a few sips of my beer, and just tried to adjust the other hop additions so I wouldnt end up with a super hoppy wheat.

No one in the wedding seemed to notice. The wheat turned out like I had hoped in that it was for the BMC crowd. It sold out before anything else and I just chuckled thinking of how freaked out I got

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT...

Currently down to my last dry hop for my Citra IPA, and getting ready to bottle.
Have a question.

If I cold crash, do I need to add yeast when I bottle?

I have heard that cold crashing will kill the yeast. what will this do if i bottle?

I put my dry hops in a hop bag; someone suggested I don’t need a hop bag, just cold crash at the end of the dry hop.

Any ideas. I trust this site vs on line searches

Welcome to the club!
Now remember this we don't make brewing mistakes, we make impromptu adjustments which lead to opportunities for experimentation.
Well, unless you left the valve open on your kettle open as you started to fill it, that is just a mistake, and it is hard to call it anything else. Don't worry if you happen to make that mistake, you will have joined the club with the rest of us-just don't do it again.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT...

Currently down to my last dry hop for my Citra IPA, and getting ready to bottle.
Have a question.

If I cold crash, do I need to add yeast when I bottle?

I have heard that cold crashing will kill the yeast. what will this do if i bottle?

I put my dry hops in a hop bag; someone suggested I don’t need a hop bag, just cold crash at the end of the dry hop.

Any ideas. I trust this site vs on line searches

Don't add more yeast, even if you cold crash. Cold crashing won't kill a single yeast cell (unless you freeze the batch).

I never use a hop bag for dry hopping. The hops will settle, especially if you cold crash.

Nice

thanks

this was what i was looking for, thanks home brew talk , their is so much on line that will just get you confused.

we don't make mistakes just opportunity for improvements.

Keep in mind there is often not just one way of doing something. Some people use hop bags, some don't. Some cold crash, some don't. Some use secondaries....you get the idea.

Personally I don't know why you wouldn't use a hop bag - why have to worry about getting the hops to drop out when you can just take it out and be sure that it will not dirty up your final product.

Keep in mind there is often not just one way of doing something. Some people use hop bags, some don't. Some cold crash, some don't. Some use secondaries....you get the idea.

Personally I don't know why you wouldn't use a hop bag - why have to worry about getting the hops to drop out when you can just take it out and be sure that it will not dirty up your final product.

i understand your thought, that is why i join this site, and sure i will become a sponsor of this site, because i want to learn what you have done before me so i might not make the same mistake. am new may not know what you know, but trying to learn BRO.

don't get me wrong i will try both, and let my brew brothers know what work best for me, but doesn't make it right.

Thanks bro

am just talking about what someone said when you don't use a hop bag the
oils from the hop into the beer, you will get more aroma from the hop. with the bag you will not get the aroma.

then if you don't use the hop bag you will nee to cold crash so the hop fall to the bottom before you bottle or keg

I accidentally put in 5 times the ph5.2 stabilizer into my mash. That was undrinkable stuff. Just was talking with a buddy and not paying attention. Tasted like sucking water from a water softener.:cross:

I messed up my first brew by putting the spices in the steeping grains. It was a brewers best holiday ale kit.

It still turned out good. Probably much different than it was supposed to.

Good luck on dry hopping. I like to use the bag in the keg and then remove. Makes a clear beer.

Latest posts

Back