new to forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowaphotog

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, and will soon be starting to do my own brews. I've done the basic research (both reading up on the home brew process/equipment, *and* trying out many different types of beer), so I know the basics, but was wondering: What are some tips/stories/etc would you share to help the first brew go smoothly; things that you wish you would've known when you started.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I look forward to sharing my home brew experiences with everyone!

iowaphotog said:
What are some tips/stories/etc would you share to help the first brew go smoothly; things that you wish you would've known when you started.

Welcome. I work at the arsenal in Rock Island, IL.

Not really. It seems that you did your research prior to brewing which really will help you.

I would recommend brewing with someone who has brewed before. Truth is I called my son-in-law over (he's the one that got me into brewing - birthday present was a brew kit from my wife) to hold my hand the first time I brewed.

After that I've been flying solo. I do invite others over, but I'm the brewer around these parts.

Again, welcome.

Invest in an Auto-Siphon!

When doing a full volume boil use at least a gallon extra to compensate for evaporation. And don't forget to top off the fermenter to 5 gallons. That was my only mistake on my first batch. see ------> first batch post All of my other sessions have been flawless. I did ALOT of studying about the process before hand also, so you should be just fine.

Ed_Savage said:
Invest in an Auto-Siphon!
I agree. An auto-siphon is priceless. And don't skimp on sanitizing. Have a plan before you start the brew. I was flying solo my first brew and didn't really lay out a good plan. I ended up scrambling around trying to clean/sanitize equipment in the middle of everything else. It turned out good but I was really worried about it. Lay out a good plan...Gather all the equipment you're going to need and have it ready...You'll be fine.

Just plan ahead. Walk through the whole process in your head and note any tools or equipment you will need to employ.

Make sure that all of these tools are cleaned in advance so that when you start brewing, you are really ready to go and don't have to sit around and wait for things to steam clean or whatever.

As I brewed up my frist three batches, I kept very VERY anal notes about everything I did and used and ended up with a "preparation list" for each of the separate days that I interact with the beer; boil day, racking day, bottling day.

Now, when I get ready to do one of these steps, I just pull out my preparation list in the morning and get things going. Then later in the evening when I actually do the deeds, I get right to it.

-walker

What everybody else said...plus relax, have a brew, enjoy yourself. Remember it's supposed to be fun. :cool:

I purchased a jetting tools that attaches to a fawcett. When pushed down the water sprays up. I can't think of the name but it was only $8, is great for clean lines, bottles, carboys......everything.

Igorstien said:
I purchased a jetting tools that attaches to a fawcett. When pushed down the water sprays up. I can't think of the name but it was only $8, is great for clean lines, bottles, carboys......everything.
It's a jet bottle/carboy washer...very good for rinsing bottles and carboys. :cool:

Welcome!

First of all, enjoy yourself! Second, get a copy of "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". If you don't already have a copy, you'll find it to be loaded with thorough but basic practical instructions.

Good luck!

Awesome, this all seems like the things I'm looking for! Dont hesistate to keep em coming, though, as Ive still got at a few weeks before I begin my first brew. thanks again everyone.

Back