new to developing own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
Does any one know of a program to check one gallon recipes? I'm trying to put together my first recipe and would like to get a rough idea of the final product before I spend the money. Any help would be appreciated.

you can start with brewtoad.com. free.

beersmith is a more complete tool, but it costs money. absolutely worth it if you're getting into recipe design, IMO.

also look at brewtarget... It's a free, open source, multi-platform program similar to beersmith. The devs are on this forum.

I use it under ubuntu linux but there are windows and mac versions too.

Thanks for the help. I used the brewers friend page. According to it I'm good to go so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Software will help you hit the numbers, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Here are a couple easy "quality assurance" checks you can do to eliminate some common rookie mistakes:

- Basic grain bill proportions: Good recipes are usually 80-100% base malt / adjuncts (or light extract). If you're using more than 20% specialty malts, you're probably going astray. If you're using highly kilned grains (patent, chocolate, roasted barley) limit them to 10%. Also use simple sugars judiciously. Most don't do anything but dry out the beer and add alcohol. Unless that's what you want to do, stick to all-malt.

- Make sure it mashes: If you're all-grain, you're set. But for extract recipes, make sure you're not steeping something that requires a mash. Oats are a common offender here.

- Keep it simple: I once saw a recipe posted on here that had bourbon, oak, smoke, chocolate, cherries, and coffee. Way too much going on there. If you're going to go outside of the "big 4" ingredients, start with one at a time.

- Keep it balanced: Hoppy doesn't necessarily mean high IBU. Your taste buds max out somewhere around 70 IBU anyway. If you want to make something with a lot of hop character, throttle back on the bittering hops and shift them to late additions and/or dry-hop. I find the chart below to be pretty helpful in designing my beers:
hops-graph.jpg

Other than that, have fun and take good notes. Nothing's worse than brewing a great batch and not knowing how to replicate it.

Some good info in the post above. I however do not like that overused chart. IBU balance happens at final gravity, not original gravity.

Before creating your own recipe, make sure you brew a lot of other proven recipes. It's hard to understand ingredients without brewing different recipes and seeing the individual ingredients impact.

Man has been brewing beer for centuries. You don't have toreinvent the wheel. Get a book like " brewing classic styles and pull out a recipie for a style you like. I'm by no means a " style only" brewer, but there are combinations of hops yeast and malts that have been brewed and found to be pleasant.

IBU balance happens at final gravity, not original gravity.
jamil was just saying this isn't true in one of the last two Brew Strongs. you have have a low FG and have sweetness, and you can have high FG that tastes dry. he recognized that neither OG nor FG are perfect balancers for BU, but he maintained that OG was the better point of comparison.

Like everything else, the chart is just a guideline. There are always outliers. For example, a classic dry stout has a low OG and FG, but is hopped to about 40 IBU and is still balanced.

But for the most part, it gets you in the ballpark. And that's all that matters really. Every recipe I've come up with has needed some tweaking.

Weird. Got a double post.

But while I'm at it, Jamil's podcasts are pretty good, too. He has a series called "You can brew it" or something similar where he concentrates on a single style and gives a basic recipe. There's usually some good tips on everything from recipe design to brewing and fermentation. I'm locked out of his site at work or I'd post a link.

Latest posts

Back