New to corking: need top quality #7 corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonTom

Reaction score
I have a beer I will be aging 25 years and I will be corking and capping. I am struggling to find quality #7 corks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Due to the age they will be lasting I figured synthetic is definitely a no go. Right?

I have no answer to your question , but was intrigued by the fact you're aging a beer 25 years? What is it and why are you aging it that long?

I have no answer to your question , but was intrigued by the fact you're aging a beer 25 years? What is it and why are you aging it that long?

Just a beefier Big Foot, that I brewed on my 25th birthday. I figured I might as well try and age it to have on my birthday every year until I turn 50ish (I'm doing 375mL bottles, so I might try and push it as far as possible who knows?), because why not.

There was a plethora of discussion here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/turning-25-can-i-make-beer-will-last-25-years-498743/

I would probably wax them too.

Thats the plan!! I am going all out, getting labels made, gold wax, and I'm even trying to get glasses made just for this beer! $$$$$ but worth it IMHO:rockin:

Any updates on your 25 year thread?

I should have! I will at some point. My birthday was in november. The one I opened (and the one before just to check) were very minimal carb and pretty thick. I look forward to them carbing out and thinning out over time. I had a 40 bottle yield when all was said and done!

You found the corks I take it?

Well, yes I found corks, and not #7s. I think they were #8, but I found them at a LHBS. Had the full cork bottom and top, with the composite cork in the middle.

Steamed them in Sulfate steam to sanitize the day of corking. Then I capped and waxed. Since I used smaller bottles, I had to improvise a raiser with my corker. Some went all the way in, and others stuck out a bit due to the geometry slipping out. So I cut them down if needed, corked and waxed.

It looks great, and worked perfectly, just wish the beer was better young haha.

Back