New to cider question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchMySmile

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently decided to try a small cider batch, so I bought two gallons of motts apple juice, dumped it into a carboy, added yeast energizer, and nutrient, then I added the yeast and let it go. It only bubbled for a few days, and even then it was only a few bubbles every few minutes. Is this normal for cider? The mead I usually make seems to have a much more violent fermentation so I am somewhat concerned. Also I was thinking of racking it into secondary and adding sugar to perhaps restart the fermentation. Is this a valid idea? Unfortunately I was initially just screwing around so I didn't bother with gravity measurements so I can't provide that info. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Well, if you have a hydrometer, you can take sg readings now and see if it is still lowering. Mott's is usually around 1.05 OG for when I take my readings so I would guess they would be pretty consistant with their sugar content, as it is mass produced.

I would expect your cider to ferment a less vigorously than a mead as meads are usually pretty high gravity. More sugar more vigorous fermentation (usually). Gravity readings would be helpful but just wait it out and see what it is like. You can always try something different next time if it is not to your liking

Anyone know what age is the best for 5-8% apple and pear ciders? Have been told they are best opened 3 months or more after bottling... Would love to hear what other people have found?

I was talking about my latest cider with the owner of the home brew store I go to. Now it might just be the circumstances surrounding my batch (it came out way too sour and tart. 4 weeks on 6 pounds of pears will do that) but he said you would be amazed how much better a cider tastes after 6-12 months in the bottle. I don't think I'm patient enough for that.

Yeah that's the hardest part...forcing yourself not to drink it. Hey what's your favourite yeast to use for cider? I have been using champagne yeast but someone in the forum using ale yeast. I might try that for an experiment.

benkrupt said:
Yeah that's the hardest part...forcing yourself not to drink it. Hey what's your favourite yeast to use for cider? I have been using champagne yeast but someone in the forum using ale yeast. I might try that for an experiment.

My favorite for cider is Wyeast 4776. It's a cider yeast. I have done a batch with Nottingham ale yeast. That's the one that need to age for awhile. That was a lower ABV cider so it worked out well.

Latest posts

Back