new to cider making - advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathy25

Reaction score
Hi, good morning.
Typical newbie to cider making. I have lots and lots of apples, varieties unknown, but I believe to be all eating varieties. A week ago I made my second batch of cider, 2 demijohns, using an apple press. I put a campden tablet in each filled demijohn waited more than 24 hours before adding the yeast (wilko yeast nutrient) Then i put the air locks on and waited for some action. A whole week later, no bubbling. I added more yeast (wilko yeast nutrient) still nothing and now brought the jars in for some warmth. NOTHING. I know I should have taken a gravity reading at the start which I didnt. However taking a reading today, both jars are saying 1060. Thinking at least I have a reading to check against. Any suggestions. More heat, yeast, give it a stir....????? Can I add a different type of yeast at this stage or would that be taking a risk of explosion.

My first batch took about 3 days to bubble away using similar apples but a different yeast, Gervin cider yeast. I have yet to do a gravity reading on this as it been bubbling away for over 3 weeks. Thanking you in anticipation.

If your fermenter is not completely sealed you may not get bubbles in the airlock. Buckets are notorious for not fully sealing. It sounds like your yeast is either dead or asleep. What temperature is your fermenter? You may want to warm it a few degrees and see if the yeast "wakes up". If still nothing I would try a different yeast. I've only made four batches of cider and used Safcider AB-1 exclusively. YMMV.

Also try posting your question in the cider forum.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/cider-forum.32/
Good luck and let us know the result.

BTW, welcome to Homebrew Talk

Back