New to CFC usage, hot wort in top or bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I am starting to assemble all the bits I've acquired for my 1bbl BIAB. I bought an Exchillerator Max CFC.

I'm new to CFC use searching the net I've seen them setup both ways.

Hot wort in top cooling water out top, cooled wort out bottom cooling water in bottom

AND

Hot wort in , cooling water out bottom. Cooled wort out top, cooling water in top.

So which is better? My setup 1 bbl EBIAB, will be pumping the wort with a March Nano pump.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Are you using a pump for wort (guessing yes), or gravity?

Personally I don't think it matters but brewers with smaller systems can get away with gravity draining wort through the cfc and not using a pump.
I have a pump, but designed my brew cart so the outlet of the cfc is just above fermenter height, so can drip/pour in without a separate hose.

These are two reasons to have hot wort in top, cool wort out bottom. Doubt it matters which direction in terms of cooling though, as long as the two liquids are going opposite directions!

If you're running a pump I would feed hot wort through the bottom. Having to climb the coil will slow down your flow rate and you should end up with a lower exit temp at the end

Hot wort in at same end as water out; cold water in @ wort out.
Remember it is counter flow.
You can adjust your flow w/a ball valve on your pump.

Latest posts

Back