New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jriley

Reaction score
What do I need to get started and what's the easiest way to get started if anyone could give me suggestions that would be very helpful thanks

First welcome to the forum! Here's what I suggest:

1. Buy How to Brew by John Palmer. Read part 1, then read it again. It's available for free online but you'll quickly realize you'll want a hard copy to refer to on brew day.

2. Buy a basic equipment starter kit. I bought mine from midwest supplies, but they are available at a lot of homebrew shops. Read about what comes with the kit and choose which "version" fits what you want to do.

3. Choose your favorite style of beer, and find a simple recipe kit. Typically brewers start with extract kits, and these can be bought from homebrew shops as well. Again, I bought mine from midwest, but you'll soon find your own shops to buy from.

4. Ask questions. Use this forum or any others out there. Read about the hobby online, search for your answers. There's a wealth of info on the web, and some stellar brewers ok this forum.

5. RDWHAHB! Relax don't worry and have a home brew. Brewing can be simple at times, and frustrating at times. But it's fun as hell, and if you love beer you'll have a blast.

Enjoy!

The easiest way to get started is to find your local home brew store. They should carry starter kits that include a big bucket or carboy, a bottling bucket, bottle capper, and maybe a hydrometer. A home brew store should also carry brewing kits that include all ingredients for a particular style, and may even offer brewing classes.

If you don't have a local store, there are a few online stores that offer similar kits.

Check out some of these homebrew sites (there are many more) or a Local Home Brew Store (LHBS). Initially you'll need a 5 gallon pot (sanitize) (aluminum or stainless), and a basic starter kit (depending on the style of beer you like). The starter kits come with most of the hardware and an extract kit you'll need to get started. Sanitize. Start easy and then try and refine the process. Ask questions here. Sanitize. Welcome to a new obsession. Sanitize. Best of luck, Pete
Northern Brewer - Home Brewing Supplies and Winemaking Supplies
Austin Homebrew Supply
Midwest Supplies - Homebrewing and Winemaking

You will also need a starter brewing kit, a boil kettle, at least 20 qt, and 50 - 55 bottles if you do a 5 gallon batch. You can find them at most or the online supply sites.

I got Northern Brewers Deluxe starter kit after looking around. I felt it was one of the most complete for the money. I opted for Better Bottles. I did not want glass carboys because of the weight and danger of breakage.

Also read all the stickies on this site, there is a ton of information. In addition anything else you can find. There is a lot of old and dis-proven info out there read it all and learn what is important and what is not.

Go to Bed Bath and Beyond. I got a Mr Beer Deluxe Kit (does not include bottles) for 15 dollars and two additional refills for 12.49 (usually 30 and 25 respectively). You can also take 20% off of these with coupons, which never expire. The issue is they don't tend to have much in stock so it is hit or miss whether you will find one in stock (I bought the last one they had in stock).

Back