New to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with home brewing, I was going to start out slow and brew one batch using a simple basic starter kit and then go from there. Well my first batch is in the fermenting bucket and I've already bought a carboy for the secondary fermentation that I wasn't going to bother with in my original plan, and now I've decided to add a 6 gallon carboy and another 5 gallon to my setup so I can keep two brews going at a time and do my fermenting in the 6 gallon carboy. Heck... I was just at the sears website pricing a small fridge for a draft setup.

One of my other hobby's is flying radio controled helicopters, it cost around $2000 to get one in the air, I own 3 of them so when I started checking prices for brewing equipment I was amazed at how cheap things are I mean you could put together one heck of a brewery for $2000.

Any body want to buy some helicopters?

I wouldnt rush things too much. Wait to start your second brew until after your first is already completely done, and you've drank a few.... that way you can learn from your mistakes.

Just tasted my first batch of brew tonight for the first time... quite happy, but I have a few things I'd change. Just a suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually plan on staggering the batches a bit. I already have a few things I'll do different on this next batch :p

yes, stagger them, but make sure you plan accordingly.

I got a little ahead of myself here recently and just this morning realized that I have my coffee stout in the primary which will need to be racked to secondary in about a week.

The problem there is that both of my secondaries are currently occupied (check the sig) and I wasn't intending to bottle that IPA for another 2 weeks. The Porter won't be bottled for 2 or 3 weeks either.

I either have to bottle something prematurely, leave the stout in the primary longer, or buy another secondary.

I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I have too much damn beer!

-walker

Walker said:
yes, stagger them, but make sure you plan accordingly.

I got a little ahead of myself here recently and just this morning realized that I have my coffee stout in the primary which will need to be racked to secondary in about a week.

The problem there is that both of my secondaries are currently occupied (check the sig) and I wasn't intending to bottle that IPA for another 2 weeks. The Porter won't be bottled for 2 or 3 weeks either.

I either have to bottle something prematurely, leave the stout in the primary longer, or buy another secondary.

I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I have too much damn beer!

-walker

Just buy another secondary. lol. :drunk:

I'm afraid to do that because I can see me getting even FURTHER ahead of myself. I just can't stand to look at an empty fermenter. :D

Walker said:
I'm afraid to do that because I can see me getting even FURTHER ahead of myself. I just can't stand to look at an empty fermenter. :D

Then you could start to sell your beer to your friends if you get too much. lol.

You know, it only makes sense to have 3 secondaries, what would you do if you had a mishap and one was broken, I shudder just thinking of it. Indeed it is important to be prepared so do the right thing, get that 3rd carboy.

Back