New to brewing/cider, some questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO1984

Reaction score
Hi all,
First thanks for taking the time to hopefully answer some of these questions. I have done lots of reading, not only on this forum, but in a book as well (Annie Proulx) about making hard cider.

I received cider making materials as a birthday gift and I will run-down what I have as to let you decide if I have everything (I believe I do) or if I am missing some big items.
- 5 gallon glass carboy
- 1 gallon glass grolwer
- 2 packets Red Star champagne/wine yeast
- 1 vile of Wyeast nutrient
-1 sanitizing solution/powder
- 1 rubber stopper for 5 gallon carboy
- 1 hydrometer
- 1 plastic airlock

Here are my questions:
1. I intend to follow the cider recipe either here or here . Which, according to those have used these websites, sounds best/easiest for a new person to brewing?

2. I intend on using fresh cider from a local farm - unpasteurized and no preservatives. If I use this type of cider, do I need campden tablets? One website says yes, other says no.

3. Would I be wise to start with a smaller, 1 gallon batch of cider or just utilize the full space of the carboy and use 5 gallons? If I can do 1 gallon, I assume the extra space in the carboy will not harm the process?

4. Do I need to make a starter?

5. Do I need to simmer my fresh cider before I pour it into the carboy?

6. 5 gallons of cider = 1 packet of yeast, correct?

7. Is it necessary to use the yeast nutrient?

8. What the heck is the 1 gallon class growler for? Bottling? Obviously I'll need more but I was under the impression that screw-top glass bottles will explode because of the carbonation?

Thanks again guys,

Tim

Here are my questions:
1. I intend to follow the cider recipe either here or here . Which, according to those have used these websites, sounds best/easiest for a new person to brewing?

This is the basis for all my ciders. http://www.robshomebrew.com/apple.html I do tweak it.

2. I intend on using fresh cider from a local farm - unpasteurized and no preservatives. If I use this type of cider, do I need campden tablets? One website says yes, other says no.

I do. Why not?

3. Would I be wise to start with a smaller, 1 gallon batch of cider or just utilize the full space of the carboy and use 5 gallons? If I can do 1 gallon, I assume the extra space in the carboy will not harm the process?

You can start a one gallon, starting with a bit more in the carboy the transfer into the one gallon bottle, after a couple of weeks, leaving the sediment behind.

4. Do I need to make a starter?

I do if I use dry yeast packet. Don't have to with a vial.

5. Do I need to simmer my fresh cider before I pour it into the carboy?

I heat it up just enough to dissolve the sugar.

6. 5 gallons of cider = 1 packet of yeast, correct?

Correct, something like 2-10 gallons per packet.

7. Is it necessary to use the yeast nutrient?

I didn't at first and it was fine, now I do.

8. What the heck is the 1 gallon class growler for? Bottling? Obviously I'll need more but I was under the impression that screw-top glass bottles will explode because of the carbonation?

I use it as a 1 gallon primary & secondary fermenter for small batches. I also use it to make a starter when using the 5 gallon carboy.

There are lots of ways to do things and only a few of them are wrong. So far almost everything I've tried has worked. Don't get hung-up on doing it right, I did at first. I know people who just use cider and yeast. Some even use the wild yeast already in the cider. I add sugar for more alcohol.

Hi all,
First thanks for taking the time to hopefully answer some of these questions. I have done lots of reading, not only on this forum, but in a book as well (Annie Proulx) about making hard cider.

I received cider making materials as a birthday gift and I will run-down what I have as to let you decide if I have everything (I believe I do) or if I am missing some big items.
- 5 gallon glass carboy
- 1 gallon glass grolwer
- 2 packets Red Star champagne/wine yeast
- 1 vile of Wyeast nutrient
-1 sanitizing solution/powder
- 1 rubber stopper for 5 gallon carboy
- 1 hydrometer
- 1 plastic airlock

Thanks again guys,

Tim

I would recommend a 7 1/2 gallon fermentation bucket. (you can set this up as a bottling bucket also) Fresh pressed juice creates a lot of trub in the primary. If you start with 6 gallons you will have probably just about enough to rack to your 5 gal carboy.

I made 35 gallons from fresh pressed last fall...........it wasn't enough. This year we may not have any local fresh pressed. Apple trees are near bare.

Tim, as a Microbrewer who is relatively experienced with hard cider I can tell you; If you plan to innoculate your unfermented cider with a Commercial yeast, then you should use Campden tablets ( They eliminate any existing flora, i.e yeast.) Otherwise, if you have the funds and availability to supply more than one 5 gallon batch of unfermented cider, I would give the indigenous yeast a fighting chance ( Perhaps with a bit of added fermentable sugar.) If that batch turns out to be non-viable, you can always brew 5 more gallons and pitch a commercial yeast. ( Be warned-Brewing hard cider envolves a lot of patience and TRIAL AND ERROR!)

Back